Chapter-17

Rhys led Xander down the hall from the dining room

Rhys led Xander down the hall from the dining room. Rhys quickly found that only Azriel could calm down the rage burning inside Xander. It was nice that Azriel can calm him down. Rhys didn't know why he felt over protective of Xander. But he did. He couldn't quite explain it.

Xander held his breath as Rhys opened the door to a bedroom and motioned for Xander to go in. "He may have a light fever because of the poison but he will be fine," Rhys whispered. Xander nodded his head and stepped inside the room.

Azriel was laying on a large bed. His majestic wings on full display. The clicking of door echoed throughout the other wise silent room. Xander took a tentative step forward. Azriel looked peaceful. Laying on the bed with dark blue comforters that looked like his siphons he looked peaceful. His disheveled hair made him look far more attractive than usual. His shadows were there but they are not fully active they looked like they were recovering too.

He slid into the space next to him and smooth his hair out of his face. He brushed his cheeks tentatively as he remembered his smile. But the last time he saw him he was bleeding from his chest from the arrow wounds. Rage pounded against the golden trunk. He took a deep breath and caressed his cheeks. The rage subsided as Azriel nuzzled his face into his palm.

Azriel's eyes fluttered open. He took in his surroundings and saw Xander looking at him as he stroked his cheek.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you up," Xander whispered. Azriel motioned for the water pitcher on the table. Xander poured the water into a small cup and helped Azriel drink it. He stacked pillows behind Azriel and helped him sit up.

"How are you feeling?" He asked Azriel. "I am good," Azriel breathed. Azriel raised his hand and weaved it through Xander's hair. He fingertips grazed the top of Xander's pointed ears. "I am sorry," Azriel sighed. "Don't be," Xander told him as he took hold of his scarred hands. "I promised you I would fight for you," Azriel told him. Azriel felt guilty. "You did fight for me Az. You reached for me and that means a lot. I would have killed Rhys if it weren't for you," Xander sighed. He explained what happened after they got back from him Hybren. He told him about his outburst and he was the one who brought him back.

"Then it's a good thing you decided to start training" Azriel told him with a small smile. "Do you mind helping me get out?" Azriel asked him. Xander nodded his head and helped Azriel out of the bed. His shadows leaped into Xander arm and made him giggle. Xander was supporting Azriel with a hand behind his back. They were practically sharing a breath.

Scent of honey and mint leaves waffled his nose. Azriel smiled despite the small pain he was feeling at his sides. He didn't know how he became so brave. He didn't know what made him ask Xander for help. Maybe he simply wished to spend more time with him. Maybe not. But he was glad he asked him. Xander guided him to the dining hall were everyone was talking. The conversation ceased immediately when they saw Azriel and Xander making their way to the dining hall. Azriel slid into an empty seat opposite to Cassian and Xander sat next to Azriel.