- twenty one -

"Wake up." her sweet voice rang in my ears as she gingerly nudged my head with her shoulder.

"Oh my god, she's so dramatic!" I heard my dad satirically remark before something smashed into my face, immediately jolting me awake.

"What the fuck?" I said, clutching my cheek and looking at the Pringles can he'd thrown at me.

"Language Y/n!" my mum said with a hint of disgust.

I gave her an apologetic look and rubbed my cheek a little. My dad just laughed as he walked down the aisle to the door of the plane, my mum following, scolding his childishness as they debarked.

Billie was also sniggering next to me.

"Something funny?" I say, prudently throwing the can on top of her head, it landing with a bonk.

She got up out of the chair and shot me a look of distaste, although she couldn't entirely hide her smirk.

She opened the overhead locker and took out her cap and facemask. My hoodie was laid as if it were a blanket across my lap. How charming of her, really.

I grabbed it and held it out to her - she gladly took it and put it on along with her other 'camouflage' accessories, taking a moment to make sure everything was properly adjusted.

Everyone else had already left, so they were just waiting for us.

I watched as she got ready. I watched her delicately tuck her hair into the hood. I watched her pull the bottom of the hoodie towards her waist. I watched her cautiously shape the mask across her nose and watched her finger trace her jawline. Oh fuck, I could watch her all day.

"Are you just gonna sit there?" she questioned, snapping me out of my trance.

"No." I replied, getting up out of the chair and giving her a kiss on the lips as I walked towards the plane's door.

We both disembarked, keeping a relatively large distance between each other. 

I'm beginning to understand why she hates walking through the airport. We can't be ourselves. We can't walk hand in hand. I really don't like that.

Then again, I'm partially the cause of that. I need to come out to my parents. And I will, at some point...

Luckily, leaving an airport is much simpler than arriving. Just a quick trip through passport control, then grabbing our suitcases, then out of the door.

That feeling of walking out of the airport into the warm air will always be euphoric, every time. If only I could walk out with her instead of ten feet behind her.

There, once again, was two vans waiting for us, both with blackout windows and the drivers ready to load our suitcases and go.

Billie stopped for a moment and waited for me to catch up.

"You're with your parents to go to your hotel. Get settled and we'll meet later." she said before walking to the van where Maggie, Patrick, Finneas and Claudia were already getting in.

"Come on then Y/n, let's go!" my mum yelled from our van, waving her arms, aka telling me to hurry the fuck up.

Well, this isn't exactly what I had imagined, but I'll go with it. Then again, what did I expect? To be staying with Billie? That would completely expose us to my parents. At least she actually planned this, I'm completely winging it. I'm just glad I'm here.

I passed my suitcase to the driver and thanked him, getting into the van and sitting behind my parents.

It was only a short wait before the driver took his seat and began to drive us to whatever hotel we were going to. I've forgotten which one it is, Billie sent me about a hundred.

My parents did what they always do every time we go on holiday. They started to point out and admire everything they could see, coming up with fun ideas and plans. I just listened as they basically fangirled over LA.

Unexpectedly, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and took a look. Of course it's her.

Billie:

Miss you already. ❤️

"What're you smiling at?" my mum questioned.

"Nothing." I swiftly replied, turning my phone off and dropping it between my legs.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever Y/n." she remarked, obviously aware I was lying yet seemingly didn't care.

She turned back around and returned to her conversation with my dad. I returned to my conversation.

Y/n:

So what's the plan then?

Billie:

Get settled in and we'll meet for dinner at 8?

8? It's only 3pm. That's ages.

Y/n:

Okay, send me the details.

Billie:

Don't worry, the moms are dealing with that.

The mums? 

Coincidentally, my mum began to talk about dinner later.

"Maggie's sent me a restaurant for later. We're going at 8." 

I guess the mums really are taking care of everything.

I, on the other hand, now have 5 hours to kill.