- twenty seven -

"Y/n. Wake up baby. We're home." I heard Billie say.

I stirred for a moment before opening my eyes. I was in the passenger seat of her car and we were pulled up in a driveway. I must have fallen asleep.

"How did I get here?" I asked, still waking myself up.

"You fell asleep." Billie replied. "I didn't want to wake you so I carried you in and drove you home."

My face felt all puffy from where I'd been crying. Billie grabbed my hand and gave it a little squeeze.

"Let's go in?" she asked.

"Okay." I said nervously.

I do not want to be having this conversation, at all. 

We both got out of the car and walked to the back door. It was Billie's family home. As we entered, Shark excitedly bounded towards us followed by a more gentle Pepper. I said hello to them both and Billie lead me into the living room.

Everyone was sat down on the sofas, apart from Finneas and Claudia. I assume they'd gone home. 

My parents both had a blank expression on their face. Maggie and Patrick looked more welcoming.

"Here, take a seat." Patrick suggested, pointing to another empty sofa.

I sat down and Billie sat next to me. Shark laid down beside her and Pepper sat in front of me. I began to nervously pet her, avoiding eye contact with my parents.

"So. Want to explain yourself?" my mum opened.

Here goes nothing.

"I want to stay here, just until the end of summer. I'll come back so I have time to get ready for sixth form." I said, still keeping my gaze on Pepper.

"But you've been here for two weeks. And, we did that spontaneously!" she continued.

"I know, and I'm really grateful that you did."

"And what about Billie and her family? You can't just expect to stay with them for nothing."

I looked up at Billie's parents; they both smiled at me.

"I hope you don't mind me interrupting," Patrick interjected, "but it would be our pleasure to have Y/n stay, as long as that's alright with you."

Thank you Patrick, maybe that'll help to persuade them.

"I appreciate that a lot Patrick." my mum said kindly, "But it's not a five second decision to make."

"Of course, we'll leave you to discuss it?" he asked.

"If you don't mind." my mum replied.

Maggie and Patrick both got up and headed to the doorway. Maggie gave a look to Billie and prompted her to follow. Billie reluctantly got up and followed them as they left the room.

"Where's all this come from?" my dad asked.

"I just really like it here." I said, partially lying.

"Oh come on, Y/n. We're not stupid." my mum remarked, slightly agitated at my comment.

I know they aren't. This definitely isn't going well.

"You never left your wallet in her car." she pursued calmly.

"What?" I queried, muddled.

"When she dropped you off after you stayed the night in London, it was on the counter."

Fuck. I thought she didn't notice.

"And you were never with Jules." she continued to question. "You were with her, weren't you?"

I guess there isn't much point in lying.

"Yeah." I confessed. 

"Why did you lie to us?" my dad asked, a hint of betrayal noticeable in his tone.

"I'm sorry." I replied. "I don't know."

I don't actually know why I lied. What difference would it have made if I told them?

My mum got up and moved to sit next to me. I kept my gaze on Pepper who was now laying by my feet.

"Look at me Y/n." she said.

I took a deep breath and turned my head to face her. I hated to see her like that - she looked cheated.

"You're gay aren't you."

My eyes began to well up again as it was actually relieving to hear her say it. I simply nodded and didn't say a word - tears began to pour out of my eyes.

"Oh my sweet little girl." she uttered, holding my head to her chest. "I had a feeling you were."

"You're not disappointed?" I asked. 

I'd never heard either of my parents make a comment on any part of the LGBTQ+ community, so I never knew where they stood.

"Of course not." she replied. "I love you for who you are." 

I wrapped my arms around her as I sobbed into her chest. My dad came and sat on the other side of me, also embracing me in a hug. 

It was so alleviating to hear them say they didn't care about me being a lesbian. I'm so lucky that they don't. There are too many people who are terrified to come out in fear of being disowned. Maybe that's why there's such a universal fear in coming out. 

"We love you." my dad said, "I'm sorry if you felt like you couldn't tell us."

I did a little, but that's not their fault. 

We sat in silence for a few minutes, holding each other tight. I continued to cry in relief.

"So you're in love then." my dad uttered after a while.

I sat up and wiped the tears from my face.

"Yeah, I am." I answered. "She feels like the best thing that's ever happened to me. I've never felt so happy. I've never felt like someone was so right for me."

"Well, you've definitely found a good one." he remarked with a snigger, "She's lovely."

"I'm sorry I lied." I said to both of them.

"Oh shush Y/n." my mum commented. "It's not your fault. But from now on, no more secrets?"

"Agreed." I acknowledged.

They both smiled, and hugged me again.

"We can't tell you what to do anymore Y/n." my mum said. "You're 17. You're nearly an adult. Every decision you make from now on is your own. All we can do is guide you and give you advice, but it's your choice whether you take it or not.  The world is your oyster, and all I ask is that you make the most of it, okay?"

I nodded with a smile. It's amazing to know that they support me.

My mum got up and walked out of the room without saying anything. I shared a baffled look with my dad until she returned moments later, pulling Billie behind her.

She ushered Billie next to me and sat on the opposite sofa, my Dad also moving to sit beside her.

I grabbed Billie's hand and she shot me a confused look.

"It's okay Bil, they know." I explained. 

She relaxed and held my hand.

"You're fine with Y/n staying?" my mum asked Billie.

"I wouldn't want her anywhere else." Billie lovingly remarked.

"That's it settled then. You can stay. I trust Billie." my mum said. 

I took a monumental sigh of relief and pulled Billie into an excited hug.

"Fuck yeah!" I called out in merriment.

"Language!" my dad commented.

"Oh yeah, sorry." I laughed.

I couldn't care less about my language right now.