- twenty three -

After a couple of hours, Billie had snuck back out of my room and went home to get ready for dinner.

I had a shower and chucked some clothes on, then left and met my parents in the lobby.

"I packed so many clothes and you chose to wear that?" my mum said, disappointed.

"What's wrong with this?" I asked. I had shorts and a t-shirt on. I know I'm not exactly the next fashion icon, but I don't look that bad.

"What's wrong with it? It's boring!" she replied. "Let's just go, it's too late to change now."

We jumped in an uber, which was weird to use considering we don't have them where I'm from, and got taken to the restaurant. My dad was so skeptical; He didn't understand the concept of being driven somewhere by someone who didn't drive a taxi. It was only a ten minute drive, but that was mainly because of the traffic.

We all hopped out and walked into the restaurant. I could see Patrick on the end of a table at the back - the rest of the table was hidden behind a wall. I strolled over and said hello to everyone, again.

Billie was sat in the corner with Finneas and Maggie either side. Welp, I'm not sitting next to her. I guess that's alright. I opted to sit next to Claudia instead, opposite Billie.

We all spent the first few minutes scouring the menu. It was all vegan, of course.

"Is there no steak or anything?" my dad asked like a complete moron.

"No, it's all vegan." I responded, slightly embarrassed. Does he not know they're vegan? I mean I talked about Billie all the time so surely he knew? I take it he was never listening to me.

"We're vegan Jack."  Maggie said to my dad, "I hope you don't mind eating here."

"No, no, not at all." my mum replied on behalf of him, "It's nice to try something new." she said, giving him an emboldening nudge.

I don't think me or my parents have ever eaten anything vegan, at least not on purpose. We have always had some sort of meat in a meal.

Actually, Billie did get me that bean burrito at Taco Bell, which I'm not going to lie was kind of gross. Hopefully the world of veganism is better than that.

Whilst I was confusedly scanning the menu, a waiter appeared at the end of the table with some drinks. 

"So, what can I get for you guys?" she asked after giving everyone their drinks.

Of course, Billie's family went first as they knew what they wanted. My mum ordered for herself and my dad, because he clearly didn't have a clue. Now that just leaves me.

Tofu rice bowls, a sweet potato burrito, falafel fritters, blah, blah, blah. I also don't have a clue.

I could feel everyones eyes glaring at me so I just blurted one out.

"The ratatouille please."

"Okay, so that's everything?" the waiter asked, reading our order back to us to confirm. Everything was fine so she took the menus and left.

Ratatouille? From the film? I think that's just roasted vegetables. I hope the chef has a rat under their hat because roasted vegetables doesn't sound too appealing right now.

A conversation managed to get rolling pretty quickly so there was no awkward silence. I love that everyone's getting on so well. 

Every so often, me and Billie would share a glance and a smile, but there wasn't anything specific. It's great for our 'friendship status' around my parents but it hurts not being able to speak freely.

After about twenty minutes, the food arrived, and luckily mine didn't look too shabby. It's actually uncanny to the one in the film.

The only thing I hadn't accounted for was the size

The only thing I hadn't accounted for was the size. In what reality is that classed as a meal?

Well, I'm just going to have to eat it slowly.

I looked over and saw Billie taking the mick out of it, gesturing to how small it was with her hands. She, of course, went for a burrito. I'm surprised she doesn't look like one, the amount of them she eats.

I stared back at her with a sort of puppy dog face. I obviously pulled at her heart strings as she gave me half of her burrito.

"Here." she remarked, "Don't want you to starve on your first night here."

Everyone erupted with laughter and they all made some sort of joke about my poor dinner choice.

"Are you sure you can spare that?" my mum joked, "You have to be hungry after all our travelling."

"Don't worry about me, I already ate." she replied, giving me a wink and a smirk.

Okay Billie, I get it. I kicked her under the table and she just giggled.

Everyone began to eat and just as I placed some food in my mouth, Claudia whispered in my ear,

"She hasn't stopped talking about you, and your wardrobe mishap." she said in a mischievous tone.

I nearly choked on my food, spitting some of it across the table.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I remarked, wiping my mouth with a napkin. 

My parents gave me an awkward stare before returning to their food. Claudia and Billie had massive grins on their faces. 

"You guys are a pain in the arse." I joked, taking a sip of my Pepsi. "And you're a blabbermouth." I said to Billie with a laugh.