Chapter One- Suck It Up

Briar looked at the box on the kitchen counter, eyes wide and mouth dropped slightly. Excitement began bubbling in his stomach.

"Is that for me?" he asked his boyfriend, who smiled widely and stepped closer for his arms to reach around Briar's taller form.

"'course it is, babe. I hope you like it" Harlow softly husked in his ear, inducing a shiver that was promptly ignored as impatience rushed forwards within his fluttery belly. He just wanted to jump up and down- perhaps give a little squeal- but instead he forced himself to calm down to an appropriate level of glee. With eager hands, he scooped up the velvet box and leaned back into the man behind him.

Upon opening the box, a gasp fell from Briar, a hand flying to his mouth to catch his surprise. Within the box was a cushion, on which lay an absolutely stunning pair of earrings. They were jewelled studs with feathers of startling silver falling from them, not so large they would be a distraction in any kind of lighting, but not small enough to be overlooked. They were beautiful.

"Oh my god, Hari! They're so lovely" he sighed, and once he pondered if they would suit his face, he pulled out of the arms holding him and rushed to the bedroom with the gift in hand.

Once positioned in front of the floor length mirror, he held the precious nuggets of silver up to his ears and moved his head from side to side, admiring the look of them. Briar particularly adored how the curve of the feathers accentuated his jawline a little more, and the silver complimented his pale, rosy skin far better than gold would have.

That Harlow knew that little fact about skin tone and materials that suited them best made him almost happier than receiving the gift itself; it showed just how much effort had gone into picking them. Though, it was really quite shocking that Harlow had chosen earrings as a gift in the first place considering he often asked Briar to not wear such things in their day-to-day lives.

"Stay there a minute and close your eyes, Bri" the slightly smaller of the two said as he entered the room on Briar's tail. Sounds of the wardrobe doors opening and tissue paper being rustled almost tempted Briar into opening his eyes, but he did as told, hips doing a little wiggle in anticipation that he failed to suppress.

When something caressed his skin, he almost yelped and opened his eyes. But after a gentle shush from Harlow, he took a deep breath and decided to just wait. Something was placed against him again, silky and rather nice, the sensation only heightened by his lack of vision. And when the fabric of what he guessed was clothing brushed against his exposed thighs, he felt himself begin to feel flushed. Silk brushing over his skin, the only sounds in the room coming from their breaths and the heat of a body behind him was an... oddly arousing concoction.

"Open," Harlow whispered and when their eyes met in the mirror, Briar knew his lover understood exactly what effect he was having on him. Then he let his eyes fall to the clothing held against his body and very nearly cried. His hands trembled, almost not quite willing to hold something so gorgeous and unexpected.

"Oh, Hari..." he said, breathless, taking the fabric into his hands. It was a medium-length silk dress, emerald green in colour with- as he discovered via exploring hands- a sexy slit up one side of the skirt that would end at his upper thigh. "I've always wanted to wear a dress like this," he confessed.

"It'll look perfect for tonight," Harlow said, analysing the reflection and nodding to himself.

Briar nibbled on his lower lip. Gifts, feminine ones at that, and now evening plans? He couldn't stop the needy part of his mind from screaming, 'DATE!'. Then the other part of his brain- the overthinking side he disliked- collapsed in a puddle and repeatedly mumbled, 'he's gonna propose'.