Chapter Fifteen- Opinions, Helping Hands and Cake

"Calm down" Devon said but whether it was to the bouncing Jesse or fidgeting Quinn, who knew. But all of this restless energy was rubbing off on the dominant man, making him feel on edge too despite having no reason to feel that way. 

Alright, maybe that was not strictly true. He was feeling some kind of pressure to make a good impression on the young man they were waiting on since he was apparently as important as the Queen of England herself. And this was his first visit to their home, so Devon had spent what time was spare from chasing after his lovers cleaning up and making sure everything looked perfect. 

Not that he was nervous or anything.

"Are you going to be good tonight, Princess?" he asked Jesse who nodded and made sure to maintain eye contact. 

"Yes Master. Pinkie promise". 

"Thought you didn't like that nickname" Quinn added and another petty bout of bickering ensued for the umpteenth time that day. One moment they were two peas in a pod discussing the best tablecloth to use and the next, it was like cats fighting over a scrap of chicken. 

Devon could only watch, utterly baffled on just why they cared so much.

Ding Dong.

"Alright. Let the night begin" Devon sighed to himself as his partners- one subtly and the other less so- raced to be the one to open the door.

***

Sat at the table and talking softly as they ate, Devon couldn't stop watching the person across from him. So, this was the famous Briar. He was exactly as described, even down to the small mole on his neck, only he appeared younger than expected. His face held an almost innocent naivety to it.

With the front of his hair tied back and the rest left to fall across his shoulders, cute strawberry earrings and a nice navy-blue shirt tucked into black trousers, he was an attractive young man indeed. But Devon still couldn't quite understand what all the fuss was about since Briar seemed to speak mostly to the others.

"We watched that documentary and I couldn't stop shouting, 'slay, bitch!'. But Dev disagreed with most of it" Jesse said around a mouthful of grilled vegetables, shrugging his shoulders. 

"What did I disagree to?" the man in question asked Quinn since the fox was busy chewing, taking a sip of water to wash down his fish. 

"Pinkie was saying that modelling is a viable career, like that documentary we watched last weekend, which apparently you disagreed with" his husband said before flinching, no doubt from a kick to the shin for mentioning the nickname.

Finding Briar looking interested, clearly ready to listen to the point of having put his cutlery down, Devon felt as though he should elaborate.

"It's not that I don't think it's a viable option, I just don't think it should be the only one. What if you're injured, scarred or something else happens where you are no longer desired in the modelling scene? It's very demanding and after hearing Steph bitch about it for years, it's apparently very cutthroat in the industry too. It's smarter to have a back-up plan or other source of stable income for when you need it than to find yourself jobless with no money coming in or other career options to pursue". 

Jesse frowned at his food; no doubt worried Devon had offended their friend who he knew Stephen had asked to consider modelling. But he was not one to hold back an opinion simply because another didn't like it.

The rest of the meal went by a little awkwardly, Jesse and Quinn making most of the conversation since Devon was a quieter man by nature, very tired from work too, and Briar had been looking at his plate silently, offering small contributions to topics here and there.