Chapter Nine- Morning Light and Little Slips.

The morning twilight had always been a favourite time for Briar. It was when he was often leaving work from hours spent behind the bar or taking stock in warehouses, the sun just tiptoeing it's way into view as a smudge of deep orange on a dark canvas. With usually very few people about and his weary eyes itching to go home and relax, he had found that exact time and feeling one of calming solitude.

Not now. Now he was leaving a strangers house with a fuzzy head, on a foreign road in a mystery part of what he could only hope was still his city. The world was still mostly dark but as daylight threatened to appear and shed light on his dirty, shameful secrets for any and all to see, he found it frightful. How would he hide the marks on his flesh, wash away the reminders left within him or even find the courage to look up from the ground if the sun illuminated his despair?

He could go home. He could. He should. And he would have... if only he had not felt on the verge of a panic attack at the mere idea. So rather than going home to share a bed with his boyfriend, Briar walked.

And walked. Then he just kept going, mind utterly blank and body aching more than it should have for just some simple sex.

It's just sex, it's meaningless...

But it's not. Not to me.

And when he finally came to awareness, Briar found himself at the beach, shoes off and feet sunk into the cool sand. Each grain settled alongside his sensitive soles, finding their way into his nail beds to follow him along on his travels.

"I don't wanna do this anymore" he croaked into the silence, tears joining the water that swished at his feet and grew steadily deeper the further he stepped.

It hurt. He just wanted to numb the pain, even just for a little while, so he walked even more. Deeper and deeper until blissful coolness surrounded him, permeating his flesh and bone to seep into his heart. He could feel it, gripping all that was causing him pain and torment. It quieted everything for a moment.

Would going deeper make it stop completely?, he wondered, preparing to make a decision that very well could have changed his story, when the bag clutched to his chest began to vibrate. More tears fell.

That'll be Harlow wondering why there's been no deposit into his account yet. Probably doesn't even notice I'm not home. Where is he always going? He hasn't been home again lately.

But to his shock, and immense relief, it was not him on the phone.

"Stephen?".

"Hello darling! Sorry to call so late- or early I suppose- but I just got off my flight back into the country and your gorgeous self entered my mind, where it is always welcome by the way. Would you fancy getting together later today or this week and catching up over a massage, dinner and drinks? My treat".

All it took was that cheerful tone and Briar was undone. Sobs ripped from his chest so strong and gut-wrenching his throat and eyes burned from more than just salt water. Bile crept up his throat but he could not even attempt to stop it for his body shook uncontrollably.

"Oh darling, what's wrong? Tell me where you are, I'll be there as fast as my car will take me".

"H-H-Harmony Sands B-Beach".

"Okay, I'll stay on the phone so keep talking to me, yes?".

And half an hour later, with the first strong rays of sunlight upon his half-soaked and trembling body, Briar was pulled into a strong embrace. Stephen did not speak as Briar wailed into his chest, did not make promises that everything would be alright because that could have been a lie, but he did stay with him for the next hour it took for the young man to calm himself.