Chapter Forty-Three: Caffeinated Conversation and Freaky Friends

Not liking the taste of coffee didn't mean Briar disliked the substance itself. Rather, he preferred it in different ways, such as in sweets, cakes and aromas. 

That explained why walking into the cafe and inhaling deeply brought a sense of happiness to him, leaving a smile upon his face that had the barista a little flustered.

"G-Good morning, what can I get you?" She asked, clearing her throat after for the sake of professionalism.

"Morning! I've never been here before, what kinds of tea do you have?".

And as she listed everything from traditional teas, fruity and herbal teas then the more uncommonly consumed iced teas, Briar listened avidly. If he ended up finding something he really liked, he would most likely come back here often whenever visiting the centre of town.

Placing his order with a kind smile at the woman serving him, he paid and sat at a window table for it to be brought out.

Perhaps the day was a little dreary for an outing, but even the drizzly weather and slight bite in the air wouldn't have made him cancel on his dearest friend.

Briar had missed Stephen incredibly- far more than he expected to. But they had been through a lot together in such a relatively short period of time, which was the most likely explanation on why they grew close so fast. That, and the two just meshed very well. Stephen was also the only positive male role model Briar had ever experienced, something he now held very dear. But between Briar's training (both at the gym and Club Tryst), the older gentleman's busy schedule and just life in general getting in the way, the two had not seen each other for months.

So as the cafe door opened, the chiming of the little bell above welcoming his dear friend inside from the cold, his entire face light up like the sky on a summer's day.

"Darling!" The fashionably dressed gent called as he spotted Briar, opening his arms wide just as the young man flung himself into them.

"Well, someone missed me" he chuckled, squeezing the large body in his hold and kissing those pale, soft cheeks in greeting.

"I really did. You look amazing by the way, what a glow!".

Stephen removed his long floral jacket with a flourish, revealing his arms bronzed as though a god of the sun kissed them himself.

"You can thank Brazil and the Caribbean for this gorgeousness. But nevermind me, you" the man moved Briar back a few steps and twirled his fingers, wanting a full view, and when he got it a whistle sang from his lips. "You, my dear, are looking absolutely fan-ta-stic! Good God...".

Briar flushed but nodded. He did look good. The hard work and dedication had paid off, his body finally looking exactly as he had hoped it would for the shoot. And despite spending a large portion of his adult life wishing it were smaller and curvier, he was more than satisfied with it currently. He was big, strong and most days, he could almost believe himself beautiful.

"Good enough for the shoot, tomorrow?" He asked teasingly, sitting down across from his friend at their table.

"Good enough? Darling, you're going to make every crew members underwear a little tighter and wetter than any other model could dream to. And that's before the photos are edited, imagine the poor customers! But putting that aside, how are you feeling? This is the first time you've had to experience the stress modelling can put on the body. No one in this industry would recommend the crazy diets or workouts they're often forced to endure to other people".

A server appeared just after the question and while Stephen placed his order and Briar stirred sugar into his tea, he thought on how to answer.

It had been hard. Really fucking hard. Putting the cravings, painful aches, exhaustion and lifestyle changes on the backburner, what had been the most difficult were the mental challenges. Self-doubt, looking in the mirror and only seeing what needed to 'improve', constantly thinking about every item eaten or days away from the gym. It was draining and honestly, torture on his mental health.