Chapter Eighty-Four: It's Over

On the sixth of February, extremely early in the morning, Briar was not asleep in bed. He and his lovers were packing the car with supplies for a long drive, the mood sombre and uncomfortable. Tensions had been high between them ever since the night Devon and he had told their in-the-dark lovers about Harlow, and Dusty's ongoing aid in getting police support.

Had Briar expected it to hurt them? Unfortunately, yes. It was unavoidable considering the things he hadn't told them were pretty severe in nature. Had he expected it to affect them for more than a few days? Also, yes. And he had been prepared to give them time and space to come to terms with everything, or to talk about whatever they were feeling.

What he hadn't expected was for no real anger to be aimed at him or Devon. Only, he actually ended up wishing they'd been mad because ever since that night, they'd both just been extremely anxious. Jesse was constantly asking if Briar had heard from Harlow, going as far on one occasion to check his phone when he'd been busy in another room. That behaviour had been nipped in the bud immediately, and Jesse expressed great shame for having invaded his privacy.

"I just can't stop thinking about what he might be saying to you, Bri. Worming his way back in and trying to cause trouble. I know it's wrong, I just... I just had to see...".

Briar understood. And if the checking of his phone would have actually helped the situation, he most likely would have allowed Jesse free reign to check his private devices and accounts for peace of mind. But he knew that it wouldn't help- only getting rid of Harlow once and for all would.

Which was why by five in the morning, the four of them were in the car and driving towards Longwick, a city Briar now knew Harlow had been poisoning with his presence for the last few months. No music played on the radio, the only sound between the lovers being the thrumming of wheels on asphalt and the engine's hum.

"Are you ok?" Devon asked, reaching a hand to the passenger side to rest it on Briar's leg. Usually this was Quinn's seat, but since everything had been unearthed, Jesse had begun clinging to him for emotional support, so he was allocated to the seat behind Devon.

"Hmhm" he hummed, not convincing anyone let alone himself. But they didn't push for more. Because he would be fine, once the day was over and he was back at home. When everyone could fucking breathe again.

***

"Briar Everton?" a man asked once Briar and entourage were at the allocated meeting spot. It seemed like they were in the middle of nowhere, if there weren't swarms of police vehicles, intimidating men and women carrying weapons and donning bulletproof vests, as well as a temporary trailer where people kept disappearing into for phone calls and technical stuff that went over Briar's head.

"Yes, that's me. And you are...?".

"I'm Special Agent Augustus, but feel free to call me August. I'm sorry we haven't spoken personally yet; it was to my understanding everyone felt more comfortable contacting each other through a third party by the name of Dusty Jones?".

Like a mirage or haunting spirit, Dusty appeared at that very moment with a cloud of smoke billowing around him. Only, rather than it being supernatural mist, it was tobacco smoke.

"Auggie! There you are, my man. Thought you'd snuck off for a shite or something, been looking for you" he cackled, clapping the very tall and embarrassed looking man on the back. It seemed 'Auggie' wasn't keen on the nickname.

"Ah, here's the pretty lad. How've you been doing, Briar?" Dusty asked, pushing August out of the way to come and hug the sheepish young man. It may have been surprising to some, but despite Dusty's smoking habits and rather unkempt appearance, he smelled like Old Spice and gave a hug that felt so incredibly comforting it was almost Divine in nature.