Chapter Seventy-One: Gone Home & Rehab Alone

"And you're sure you'll be fine?" Jesse asked for what quite literally felt to be the millionth time. It was a wonder their poor tongue hadn't gotten fed up with their incessant mothering at this stage and simply decided to wander off to a new (quieter) owner.

"Yes, Foxy. I will be just fine. Look- I've got a working TV now, snacks, and anything else I might need" he reassured, using his cool new device that said whatever he typed, aloud. It was awesome to feel like he had a voice again, even if it was robotic, emotionless and the wrong accent.

Yet still, the small submissive stood by the bedside, rocking on their heels as though physically fighting between staying or leaving.

"But what if you need fresh water?".

"That's why I have a button to call for a nurse".

"Then, what about when you need to pee?".

"Again, babe, the nurses".

"Okay... but what if you start to feel unwell in the night and none of us are here to check on you?".

"That's why I have this thing- it's called a button. It's, you know, for the nurses".

"Then what-".

My fingers can't keep up with this shit!

"Good fucking God- just go! Go on, shoo, get out. You're disturbing my beauty sleep" Briar complained, hoping the sarcasm reached his little lover despite the monotone voice it was spoken in. And from the twitching of their lips that threatened to break their stubborn resolve into a smile, it seemed that it had.

"...okay. But if you need anything, you'll call one of us, right?".

Briar wished the roll of his eyes was strong enough to make Jesse roll all the way out of the hospital with them. This type of coddling was touching three days ago, when they started planning for their absence, making sure nothing would be left unfinished. But after three days of the same questions and increasing levels of babying...

Maybe Harlow should've hit me a bit harder and made me deaf as well as half blind, he thought with morbid amusement.

"Yes. Quinn and Dev have their phone alerts on and have told me they'll be checking in every couple of hours or when they have spare time. But they won't need to check in that often, because everything will be fine. Now please, Jesse... go home. Be with them, spend time with them, and heal while I do the same".

They nodded, tears welling up into uncertain grey eyes before a shake of their head cleared the droplets away. With a huge smile (fake, but well meant) and a long kiss shared between them, Jesse grabbed their large bag and left to join their dominants waiting in the car.

Thankfully, they hadn't looked back as they left. For one, the silly fox probably would've changed their mind and declared themself a permanent resident of Cloversbay Hospital. And for another, they would've seen the sadness in Briar's face and wobbly smile.

Once the door shut and the room was left in an uncomfortable silence- a silence he hadn't heard for the past month since he'd been coherent- Briar immediately put the TV on. He wasn't planning on watching it or even slightly paying the screen any attention, but he needed some white noise at that moment.

He'd finally managed to convince those attentive lovers of his to go home. It was only for a trial run of two or three nights- they would agree to no more- but it made Briar incredibly happy to know they would finally get a proper shower, good meals and a rest in their bed. And hopefully, Jesse would get the opportunity to be vulnerable with their dominants and lay everything bothering them out in the open. Only then, could they begin to recover from their recent trauma.