Chapter 7 - Death Trails

'Thought'
"Speak"

~~~~~~~~~~

You woke up to the feeling of being blown out of Aethers hands and onto the ground by some very strong wind. As you opened your eyes, you saw the sight of Dvalin looming over starsnatch cliff. You sat up to look at him as he spoke. "What has been done cannot be undone..." Venti looked up at his old friend. "Then why do I see sadness in your eyes? Sadness that speaks of your yearning for this song...?" He spoke solemnly. Jean put her hand on her chin in thought. "They are... communicating?" She said as you looked at her. You knew what Dvalin had said because he spoke in game and that the others probably only heard a bunch of dragon sounds from Dvalin when he spoke, but you could understand him?

Your thoughts were cut short as a beam of ice hit Venti's side and destroyed the lyre in the process. Everyone moved towards Venti to make sure he was okay, but your eyes were fixed on a small cryo abyss mage that floated out from behind Dvalin. "Do not be fooled by him, dear dragon... He left you to rot alone!" Everyone looked up at the floating abyss mage the moment it's gremlin voice spoke. "Now, he attempts do deceive you once more..." The abyss mage's words seem to have set a raging anger in Dvalin as he spoke with spite. "Barbatos..." The abyss mage proceeded to float beside his face to hype his anger. "Let your wrath fester. Momdstadt has already turned it's back on you!"

Dvalin let out a large roar of anger as he spread out his wings threateningly. "You!... You were planning this all along to have me slain by them?!" He let out another loud roar that let out a strong gust of wind, as you tried desperately to hold onto the grass and not get blown away. "It's not like that!" Venti exclaimed as he looked back up at Dvalin. The abyss mage floated onto Dvalin's back right behind one of his purple pimples. "The time has come for the dragon to serve it's true master!" It said as Dvalin flew away into the distance.

"Barba- Venti, please, be careful." Jean said as she looked at the sad Venti staring at the floor. "Hehe... You've known my true identity for some time now, haven't you Jean? Though, I thank you for continuing to use the name Venti." He told her as she looked back up from the ground. "How's the holy lyre? Can it still be played or does it meed to be repaired?" Diluc asked as he recalled the lyre getting his by the abyss mage's beam of cryo. "Uhm... Unfortunately I think it's beyond repair." Venti said as you looked at the broken lyre on the floor. "Dvalin is in a lot of danger..." Aether said as he recalled the abyss mage. "No, we should make that abyss mage pay first. If we don't fight the evil at it's source then we can't save Dvalin at all." Diluc said angrily. "In which case I shall call upon outrider Amber to track it down." Jean said, but Diluc just shook his head. "No need."

"Why is that?" Jean asked as she looked at him. "I eradicated one not long ago in one of the four wind's temples." He answered her. Paimon turned around to look at face him. "What? When?" Diluc completely ignored Paimon as he continued to speak. "If you want to track those monsters down then I'll seek answers from my contacts. I've got other means for getting the job done." Paimon didn't seem to care about her getting ignored. "Diluc... Though he dislikes the knights of favonious he protects mondstadt in his own way." Venti raised one of his eyebrows at hearing her words. "Oh? Why does our little Paimon sound so doting all of a sudden?" He said as you began to play with the ornaments hanging from Aether's cape. "Hmph. Wait for my word. I'll be sure to let the abyss order know that their blatant disregard for mondstadt will not go unpunished." Diluc said ominously.

~~~~~

You were sitting beside Aether's leg as he talked to Katheryne at the adventurers guild. You were guessing that he was asking for commissions, but you were busy thinking of something else. 'Would it be possible to get back in my old body ? Heck, can I even become human again? So far the only thing I can think of at the top of my head is what Ei did with her puppet, but even then she can't really control the shogun like Gregory controls his dad..." You scratched you head with you hind leg as things were getting too complex for you. This body was fine, besides you could reach all sorts of random places with you being small, and even if you are vertically challenged you were good at parkour.