Chapter 0

August 08, 2026

I never thought I'd be able to find a love that I've only witnessed from my parents. With my line of work, I've seen hundreds of people do crazy things, making me think that maybe love wasn't for humanity, but the love I saw in the eyes of my parents prevailed.

Now, I find myself walking down the aisle towards the man who has shown me humanity wasn't hopeless when it came to love. I remember the first time we met where I never expected we'd find ourselves in this position. I had no plans of having a relationship let alone getting married because I was too focused on my work and trying to make a change. He had no plans as well, but only because he's seen so much heartbreak in his life that he didn't want to experience it and make someone feel the pain that love brings.

"Hi." I said as I stopped in front of him, already teary eyed.

Charles smiled widely at me as he took my hand and squeezed it. "Hello, my love."

We couldn't take our eyes off of each other the entire time, the words of the officiant not fully registering in our minds.

"Charles, do you take Nadia as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

Charles didn't speak and he was just smiling at me so the officiant called his name. His eyes widened while I tried to hide my laughter by biting my lip.

"Sorry, you just look so captivating right now." He said and our guests gushed, the two of us hearing a few of them say aww. "But I do." He said, looking at the officiant. "I absolutely do."

"Nadia, do you take Charles as your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

"With all my heart, I do." I said and I could feel his thumb rubbing small circles on my knuckles as he mouthed the words I love you to me.

From the crowd, I heard someone sniff loudly and I'm tempted to see if it's Gabby who rarely cries, trying to put up a strong exterior which goes away at times like this.

As we exchanged the rings, I couldn't help but let a tear fall when I saw the words we had engraved inside the gold bands.

In all our lifetimes

"I know pronounce you husband and wife." The officiant said and Charles automatically stepped forward without even letting him speak again. When he noticed the officiant hadn't said anything, he turned and raised an eyebrow, hands already holding the end of my veil. "You may now kiss the bride." The officiant grinned.

"Finally." Charles said before lifting my veil, grabbing the back of my neck and pulling me towards him, lips touching mine.

Cheers erupted behind us but I drowned them out as my hands moved to Charles' chest. I could feel my heart bursting with joy at the realization that I just married the most amazing person I've ever met. He wasn't perfect but neither was I. We were two people who found comfort in the other, hands held tight as we overcame every obstacle that came our way.

And the ones that will come in the future.