Chapter 20

I'm swamped with work and school so please look out for some typos for me :( I'm so sad because I can't watch the race live since it's at 3AM here and I have class at 7:30AM every day ugh I'm going to have to stay away from social media until I watch it.

Enjoy!

*****

February 17, 2025 - Monaco

The next time I saw Charles was two days later.

I needed to settle some things with my professional license which took all morning because their system had malfunctioned so I had to wait. It wasn't really a bother since I had nothing else planned for today but to run some non-urgent errands for myself. Gabby popped by France to meet up with a friend so I was flying solo for the meantime.

When I did finish, I headed to a bike store that I passed by earlier. The office wasn't that far from my apartment but I did need the bike for when I visit places other than work. I figured investing in one would be better rather than commuting and besides, I couldn't afford buying a car here yet. It seems like normal sedans weren't common in Monaco with me seeing at least twenty sports cars every time I go out.

I decided to visit Fort Antoine again after buying an iced coffee. Just like yesterday, the place was deserted as I walked towards the entrance. As I was getting off my bike, planning to leave it by the station they had here, my phone began to ring and I saw Imara's name flashing on the screen.

"Hey." I answered casually but not friendly enough like how I talked to Gabby. Imara wasn't my boss anymore but I would always show the same amount of respect I did when I was working for the firm, if not more. She's been giving me constant updates and just like how she expected, the case was going on longer than necessary because of Congressman Hall.

"Nadia, how are you?" She asked and my eyebrows scrunched up in confusion at her words.

She never made small talk. Imara would always get to the point whenever she talked to me.

"What's going on?"

I heard her sigh before the sound of a door closing came from her end. It was quiet for a few minutes and I suddenly got worried that the reason for the call was anything but good.

"They want to call you in." She said and I felt my knees buckle as my free hand gripped the stone wall in front of me. "Hall has managed to either pay off our witnesses or threatened their life to go off the grid."

"Imara, I can't—" I stuttered, feeling my throat tightening. I closed my eyes and leaned my back against the wall, the familiar heaviness in my chest gradually increasing.

"I'm not asking you to, Nadia. There's no way I'm letting you be in the same room as him let alone relive everything all over again as they question you." Her words should've comforted me but I couldn't help but imagine what would happen if I attended as a witness. They'd put the blame on my family. A story would probably be created, saying my family was involved in illegal business in Turkey which resulted with a break-in. To push further, they'd strip me of my license, taking away the only thing in my life that I hold on to because I still had control over my life as a lawyer. "Nadia?"

"I have to go." I quickly said before dropping the call the same time as my butt hit the floor.

I gripped my phone tightly, knuckles going white as I gasped for air.

Blood. Bullets. Bodies.

So many images were running through my head. It felt like I was having my nightmares wide awake, aware of where I was but stuck in my thoughts at the same time. My right hand clutched the fabric of my shirt as I felt the fast beating of my heart, closing my eyes shut so that I could focus on my breathing.