Chapter 5

I just noticed an error in the previous chapters lol Nadia is a lawyer working for the UN, not a partner in a separate law firm so I'll just edit that once this book ends :)

Predictions for the Dutch GP qualifying later?

Enjoy!

*****

December 31, 2027 - Monaco

I've always found routines to be helpful. When I was going through law school, routines were what kept me sane. I woke up at eight in the morning every day, went out for a short jog, and cooked myself some breakfast while drinking a cup of coffee. After breakfast, I'd take a shower and head to my best friend's studio which was just a ten minute walk from my apartment, my bag filled with books and papers I'd need to read before class.

Gabrielle Young was a force to be reckoned with– that was my first thought when I met her. Her hazel eyes openly judged me as soon as I walked through the doors of her studio and a smirk formed on her lips that were tainted with bold red lipstick. She didn't bother asking my name nor did I ask hers when I held up the piece of paper that I found at a nearby coffee shop during my first week here.

"What do you know about photography?" She asked as she moved around some frames in her studio.

"Zero." I said, setting my things down to help her as we moved the frames into a small storage room.

"Multimedia arts?" She asked and I shook my head.

"Your sign said you were looking for an assistant, not an artist." I said and she raised an eyebrow at me before nodding her head.

"I need someone to answer emails, schedule studio bookings, and manage inventory. Think you could do that?"

"As long as you let me study, then yes." I said and I remember her face scrunching up at the mention of school. She asked a few more questions and I told her I was studying in Harvard for law school. We made an agreement that I didn't need to stay in the studio the entire day as long as I finished everything I needed to do before going to class, and if I couldn't stay, I had to find someone to temporarily take my place.

I worked with her for two years, earning as much as I can to pay for rent. My parents were already paying for half of my tuition fee since I was only able to apply for a half scholarship, so covering my daily expenses would be too much for them. The restaurant they owned in Turkey was known within the community but the income they get can only cover so much. Gabby and I developed a routine when we were working together. I'd open the studio and then after an hour, she'd arrive with a cup of coffee of her own. She specifically told me not to buy one for her since she wants hers freshly made and for her to drink it seconds after being created.

The first year we worked together, she and I were so focused in our careers that we only had an employee-employer relationship. Law school was a menace and I spent most of my time in the studio huddled in front of books whenever I wasn't entertaining customers. Usually, I'd just greet them and then Gabby would take over when it came to meetings and photoshoots. She's been a photographer since her senior year in high school, growing a portfolio with the help of social media and she's gained a reputation for her work.

The first time we had a full conversation that didn't concern schedules and photoshoot time blocks was when I helped her walk home after being too drunk to do so. She had an exhibit at her studio and spent the later hours of the night drinking with a few of her photographer friends. Each of them were drunk on their own and chose to call for an Uber while Gabby said she was going to walk to her apartment that was only ten minutes away. I took care of her that night, switching from pulling her hair back as she puked into the toilet and doing some readings for my Human Rights Law class. The morning after, she didn't speak a word to me as she headed to the kitchen but a few minutes later, a cup of freshly brewed coffee and an omelette was placed in front of me as she sat across the table. I was up all night studying since exams were coming up and I reveled in the silence between us as we both ate breakfast.