Chapter 29

Updating this before I board my flight hehe School is finally done for the year so expect more updates!

Enjoy!

*****

April 10, 2025 - China

"Just this once."

"No."

"Come on, Nova. It wouldn't hurt to try."

"I already said no."

"Why not?"

"Because it's weird."

"Do you guys realize how inappropriate this conversation sounds?" Charles and I turned around to see Max standing behind us with Daniel and Carlos. The three of them each had an amused look on their faces and Daniel was trying so hard not to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Get your mind out of the gutter." Charles told Max as I stepped away from him, weirdly eyeing the stick he was holding.

We were currently in China for the third race of the season. My case load was light enough for me to bring it to the other side of the world. I'd have a few meetings here and there but none of them major enough for me to be needed physically in Monaco.

"What even is that?" Max asked, cringing and quickly stepping back when Charles pointed the stick of Chinese street food in front of him.

"Crickets." I said, moving to Max's side as the two of us stayed at least three feet away from Charles while Carlos and Daniel moved closer. "He wants me to eat crickets. No fucking way that's happening."

Charles laughed at me and I glared at him, sticking my tongue out. While this was going on, none of us noticed Daniel pluck one of the crickets from the stick and pop it into his mouth, making a crunching sound.

"Oh my god." Charles said, giving Daniel the entire stick when he saw he actually liked it. "Mate, I didn't think any of us would actually try it." He said as he walked towards me, placing a hand on the small of my back.

"It actually tastes good."

"I feel like I'm going to puke." Carlos said and he actually looked a little sick.

"Are you guys even allowed to explore food? Aren't you supposed to be careful about what you eat?" I asked, moving closer to Charles. I only realized I had done so when his hand moved to my hip, arm wrapped around my back. It was like we were both moving towards one another on instinct.

"We are." Daniel grinned, eating another cricket. The smile on his face disappeared when Max took a photo of him eating it.

"Guenther's going to love this." He smirked, tucking his phone away when Daniel tried to grab it.

"Man, he's just going to tell me off. I already got an earful about missing the debrief last time in Bahrain."

"Why'd you miss it?" Carlos asked and Daniel looked at the four of us sheepishly.

"I fell asleep in my driver's room."

We spent the rest of the afternoon going around, a few of the guys' social media handlers following us with cameras to film the team's vlog for the race weekend. When Charles stopped in front of a stand that sold dumplings, I didn't complain because this was my go-to order when eating at a Chinese restaurant. I love the cuisine but not enough to eat exotic food.

We had to catch up with Carlos and the others who were looking at some souvenirs. Charles was holding the paper plate of dumplings while I held the sauce. "These are amazing." I couldn't help but groan, smiling at the vendor who was looking at us expectantly.