Chapter 28

I needed to destress from finals week so here's the next chapter! Thank you so much for being patient :))

Enjoy!

*****

April 01, 2025 - Monaco

I don't know what came over me. Work ended earlier today since Adeline talked about a new company policy the UN was trying out. The first day of the month of the next quarter, working hours were to be cut by 25% to allow employees a time off and that began today.

Honestly, I was thankful for the early time out since I could still feel my body aching from all the travelling. I don't know how Charles manages to do that at least twice every month not to mention the change in time zones.

While walking on the way home, I found myself crossing the street by the time I reached my apartment building. It wasn't by the street since it seemed like you had to walk through a small alley before getting there. I noticed it yesterday when I was on my way to work, seeing the black and white sign which wasn't big enough to catch someone's attention but it managed to pull mine. The words The Meeting Grounds were neatly placed above the doorframe, white letters emphasized by the jet black wall. There were no windows that allowed me to peer inside, only a wooden door and a sign saying open on the side.

My mouth parted in awe as I stepped inside, hearing a bit of chatter from the few customers. The place was huge and I could see a second floor from where I was standing by the entrance. Gray stone walls surrounded us complemented by black fixtures with warm lights hanging from the ceiling. The only light seeping in from outside were the few glass windows by the ceiling, high enough that no one else would be able to see inside from that height. The kitchen and coffee station was in the middle of it all, surrounded by booths that were in a u-shaped formation.

What caught me by surprise was the privacy they gave. They took advantage of the walls separating each booth from another, stretching it until the ceiling. It wasn't that high because of the second floor, but if you wanted a coffee shop that gave you the alone time you needed, this was it.

"Hi, how can we help you?" The barista behind the counter smiled, standing in front of the cashier.

I smiled upon noticing that she spoke English and glanced at their menu. "I'll have an iced macchiato and one of your specialty cakes." I ordered and she punched in the order.

"Is there anything else you'd like to add?" She asked and I bit my lip, contemplating if I should follow the thought at the back of my mind. I knew he wasn't busy because we exchanged schedules and all he had today was training this morning.

"Can you add an americano and another slice of the cake?" I requested and she nodded her head before telling me how much everything cost. As I took a seat at an empty table, I couldn't help but question my decision. What was I doing? We've never interacted unless it was about our agreement, so why am I buying him coffee? I played with my fingers, my thumb and index finger brushing against one another as I went through my thought process.

Maybe I just wanted to thank him. It's obvious that he's kept my secret well hidden and with how high profile my past has been, I knew that wasn't easy. Yeah, it's just to say thank you.

Definitely just to thank him.

Yeah, right, a voice in my mind said but I ignored it when the barista called my name. "Have a great day!" She exclaimed as I nodded in thanks, making my way to the door. I cast one more look around the coffee shop, knowing that I'd be back within the week to stay longer.