Chapter 7

I think it's become a tradition for Ferrari to mess up one way or another, huh? This was definitely not the race for Carlos. Not to mention, I got 2021 flashbacks during the last few laps of the race 😂 But at least Charles got a podium!!

Let's see how everything goes in Monza 👀

Enjoy!

*****

January 07, 2028 - Monaco

The arrival of the new year meant it was time to go back to work after the festivities.

Charles was having his first checkup today after being discharged from the hospital. We were in the waiting room, waiting for his name to be called. After New Year's Eve, we spent some time at Pascale's house since she was pushing through with her trip, Gabby accompanying us before she went back to Boston. Pascale and her friends had planned the two-week vacation to Greece before the accident even happened and thanks to Arthur's planning, he was able to reschedule her flight again.

Things with Charles and I have somewhat progressed. He's usually the first one to wake up between the two of us with me not being able to hear his alarm anymore. We decided that maybe it was best for him to sleep in the guest room for now since the uncomfortable look he held as I toured him around the apartment to show the changes deepened when I reached the bedroom.

Frankly, I haven't been able to sleep as much which was why I was so advanced with my workload. I had finished a week's worth of tasks on my part allowing me to set myself to help others. I've covered the bags under my eyes with makeup to avoid being asked questions.

Beside me, Charles kept bouncing his knee up and down as he glanced at the door of his doctor's clinic. You could see the anxiousness in his face even when they took him earlier to run some tests that we would be getting during the checkup. I'm tempted to tell him it'll be okay but I don't think my words will offer the comfort he needs.

This is his life. The past three years just disappeared in his mind and he has no control over if and when he'll get it back. If there's a few things I've learned ever since I met him is that Charles doesn't like losing control.

The door opened and his doctor, Luke, smiled at us before gesturing us to go inside. Charles was the first one to stand and I followed, momentarily brushing my hand against his. He met my eyes but said no words as we both entered the clinic.

"Happy new year to you both." Luke greeted as the three of us sat down and Charles gave him a tight smile while I only nodded my head. "From the tests you did earlier as well as the ones we conducted after you woke up, we ended up with a few observations based on your scans." He pulled out the scans he was pertaining to and placed two of them beside each other. "I know in your line of work, it was required to have routine checkups so they sent up your files while you were still unconscious. This," He said, pointing to the one on the left. "was from six months ago and the one on your right is from today."

You could instantly see the difference in the scans and from the corner of my eye, I could see Charles nervously playing with his fingers.

"One of the common cases of retrograde amnesia are head injuries which you received intensely during your crash. This kind of amnesia causes patients to lose memory of the past. There isn't really a drug created to treat this but we do have therapy. From what Nadia has told me, Mercedes are preparing for you to come back this month?"

Charles nodded his head. Toto and the team have been very helpful with everything that's happened. They've made a list of the changes in the car and regulations that have happened since 2024 and are ready to train Charles before the season began. Most of it concerned the regulations that the FIA continue to change, but Toto is confident that Charles will be ready before pre-season testing began.