Chapter 72

I'm a bit nervous with how this weekend is going to go because rain in Spa is the worst. It's also disappointing how a lot of people on Twitter would rather watch the drivers put themselves at risk than have the race cancelled/postponed.

Anyway, there's no drama here (I think) 😂

Enjoy!

*****

June 18, 2028 - Canada

"Thank you for agreeing with the online session." I told Estelle as I sat in front of my laptop in the hotel room.

Estelle smiled and waved a hand. "I only agreed because you've been doing great, Nadia. I've only seen this amount of progress from my patients a few times and it's refreshing." This was my tenth session and despite Estelle's kind words, I couldn't help but feel drained. We've moved on from Monza and were currently in the midst of discussing about Charles' accident. To say that this was easier to talk about was an understatement.

With Monza, I don't think I could ever move on from that. That night took a lot from me that I will never be able to replace. But with the accident, I at least know that Charles and I are okay. He's doing great with the current season despite not being the one leading the championship. I don't even think he's affected by that because first, he's just glad that he's back in the car again. And second, one of his closest friends was leading. It's been a long time coming for Max to win a championship.

"You told me that Charles' accident made an appearance in your nightmare a few months ago? Is this the same one that pushed you to speak to someone?" She asked and I nodded my head. "Why do you think you dreamt of it along with the others?"

"At first, I think it was the fact that he almost died. I've seen accidents in F1 and a lot of lives have been lost in the sport." Max told me that another driver had died a few years back because of bad conditions in Spa that would've garnered a red flag if it were in F1. What broke my heart about it was that he was only eighteen, just in the beginning stages of his motorsport career, and the fact that it could've been prevented.

"But that's not the case?"

"No." I said, leaning forward and placing my arms on the desk. "I'm not a stranger to loss, you know that. I think it was the fact he couldn't remember me that made it a triggering event." I took a deep breath, trying to find the proper words to say because I don't think I've ever told this to anyone. "To me, it felt like he died despite the fact that he was physically alright. He may have been alive and well in front of me, but it was like looking at a stranger. Not knowing who I was resembled the loss I felt from the death of my family."

"If a nightmare like that happened again, do you think Charles' accident would still be in it?" Estelle asked and my first instinct was to shake my head. "I'm not that updated with the latest gossip," She began and I smirked, knowing that we both held the same opinions when it comes to using social media. "But from what you've shared, things are going well with you two. You mentioned that he remembered a few more things?"

When we left New York to head to Montreal, he kept humming this song during the entire plane ride. I wasn't familiar with it, but he seemed determined to know the title of the song. It took him a lot of tries using Shazam as he tried to get a title, even sending a voice note to Max in case he knew what it was.

We were unpacking in the hotel room when he cheered in accomplishment, headphones placed over his ears.

"Finally found it?" I asked him when he took off his headphones, sitting down beside him on the sofa.