Chapter 9

That was very anticlimactic. Anyway, I guess the Monza curse continues ugh poor Danny. Maybe we'll see it with Max next year? 👀 Kidding ✌🏻

Enjoy!

*****

Lorenzo's house was a beautiful two-storey home that had a huge backyard. As I walked to the front door, I could vaguely see some of Callie's toys and a football that Marcus always used for practice. I was a bit early, about fifteen minutes, and I didn't reply to Lorenzo's message since that would give rise to questions. I already knew he was going to ask me why I showed up without Charles so I figured it was best to talk about it only once.

I knocked on the door and then a few minutes later, the door opened after I heard a small squeal from the other side. Already knowing what who was about to greet me, a smile formed on my face.

"Nadi!" Callie exclaimed when she saw me on the other side of the door and she didn't hesitate to run towards me, arms wrapping around my legs.

"Hello, melek." I smiled, crouching down so that we'd be on the same level. "I heard you made pizza?"

"Yes! Papa let me use rollers." She said, grinning up at me as I couldn't help but laugh. She most likely meant the rolling pin but forget the correct term. "Where's Chal?" She asked, using the nickname she's given him. Callie was still having a hard time with her r's so she's decided to stick with Chal instead.

I quickly hid the frown on my face and brushed away a few strands of brown hair that had moved over her eyes that continue to halt me every time I see her. She and Marcus may have gotten Lorenzo's brown hair but they had their mother's striking blue eyes. "I'm sure he's on his way."

"Calliope!" Lorenzo's voice boomed from inside the house and I stood up, granting Callie's silent request as she raised her hands up to reach me. I settled her on my hip as I entered the house and saw Lorenzo. "Oh, hey Nads." He said, greeting me with a hug and a smile. "I thought you and Charles were going to be late since I didn't hear from you."

"Chal's coming!" The little one cheered and I saw confusion flood over Lorenzo's face as he looked behind me to see no one there. When his eyes met mine once again, I shrugged my shoulders and gave him a sad smile.

"While we wait for Chal, why don't you go wake up your brother?" Callie moved closer to me and I laughed as her father gave her a stern look.

"Go on, melek. We'll play later." I said, putting her down and patting her head. She smiled at me but pouted at her father before running to Marcus' room.

"Everything okay?" He asked as Callie's footsteps faded as she ran farther. I could see the worry in his eyes and I wanted to reassure him that there was nothing to worry about but I knew Lorenzo would only see through me.

"Nope." I said, popping the 'p'. "We had a row and I left him at my office. I was planning not to go but then you sent me Callie's photo and I just couldn't resist those blue eyes."

Lorenzo gave me a sad smile and led me to the kitchen. I could already smell the food and the place was clean of any mess. I sat myself on one of the bar stools in front of the counter as he opened a bottle of wine and brought out two glasses. Lorenzo listened as I told him about our entire day, from Charles' checkup until the article Gabby sent me. He listened intently, even shaking his head in amusement at me every time I mentioned my frustration for his brother.

"Do you think he's still coming?" I asked after telling him the events of the day.

He shrugged his shoulders and put away the glasses of wine. "Right now, I can't really gauge—"