Chapter 17

I miss updating every day so here we gooooo 🤭

Enjoy!

*****

February 14, 2025 - Monaco

The United Nations worked fast.

I went through two sets of interviews, both happening within a span of three days. By the eighth day of February, I was informed that I had gotten the job and would have to move to Monaco.

If the past month had happened, it would've been difficult for me to make the decision to move away. I'd be talking about it with my family, trying to finalize everything in Boston in such a rush, and fitting my entire life into a few suitcases set for a flight to Monaco.

But now, it was so easy. I wasn't working at the firm anymore so I wouldn't have to worry about rushing all of my cases. I had no one but Gabby to discuss the move with but I did make sure to tell Mrs. Yilmaz. We've kept in contact with one another and she makes sure to call me at least once a week. Sometimes, she'd even send some recipes that I could make on my own, saying how I needed to gain the weight I lost. As for my things, I was never really one to hoard trinkets in my apartment. My biggest dilemma would've been my clothes since I had a huge closet here in Boston, but I'm sure I could fit everything inside my suitcases.

Gabby being Gabby, she didn't pass up the opportunity of coming to Monaco with me. I don't know she continues to manage her studio with her flying every few weeks.

When I asked her why she was coming with me, she gave me a look and said, "Because it's Monaco."

The UN helped me settle by giving me a list of apartment buildings that had some available rooms. I wasn't due to work for another week so we've spent the past few days going around the city. Of course, Gabby would drag me out to a club every night but I did manage to escape her once by taking a nap.

We were currently having dinner at Polpetta, an Italian restaurant that we discovered on our first night here. A sweet melody was playing from the indoor speakers of the restaurant as customers chatted over their food and drinks. There were a lot of couples around us and I think I saw one of the waiters smirk at Gabby and I when we entered through the front doors. He probably assumed we were on a date and Gabby played around with him by exaggeratingly calling me babe every time he passed by.

She only stopped when I lightly kicked her foot under the table.

"Please tell me we're going clubbing after this." She pleaded when I paid for our meal. "The amount of romance in this room is making me sick and I am in dire need of sex."

My eyes widened at her words and I looked around to see if anyone had heard. Thankfully, no one did and I turned back to Gabby who was looking at me with a frown on her face.

"Fine, but you're paying."

She cheered and clapped her hands, completely ecstatic. "Nads, I don't care how much the bill will be. As long as I see you having fun, I'd gladly pay for every bottle."

Things have been better for me, but not enough for me to call it a success. I know I complain about our night outs but I find myself seeking comfort in the mixture of music and alcohol. The alcohol makes me forget, my mind going foggy enough for me to push those images to the back of my mind. I do have to suffer the effects of a hangover the next day but I relish in those few hours where every drink is a step closer to shutting the memories away.

The music comes in handy whenever I'm not nursing a hangover or holding a bottle of alcohol. I'm thankful that Gabby and I chose to have separate hotel rooms because I get to play music all day long without having to worry about disturbing her. It doesn't matter what genre it is as long as it's louder than the thoughts in my head. I even bought some bluetooth earphones that I could bring with me wherever I go.