Chapter 54

We all deserve this today because CHARLES IS ON POLE! Lol I didn't hesitate to continue writing this chapter knowing that I wanted to update it after qualifying :)

Enjoy!

*****

December 06, 2025 - United Arab Emirates

This weekend was the last stretch of the season.

The past month, Charles and I have spent all of our free time moving things around in his apartment. His apartment had three rooms– two of which were bedrooms and the third one housing his home simulators. We decided to convert the guest bedroom into my own home office. I disagreed at first, saying that there was enough space for me to work in the dining room, but then he made a list of why his idea was better.

He made an actual list and even printed it out to make it look like a contract. I remember the two of us having our last breakfast at my apartment, unpacked boxes piled in the living room. He stood up to refill my coffee and set down the single piece of paper beside it.

1. It's the smart thing to do.
2. Charles and Nadia have the space.
3. Nadia's files are almost as tall as her.
4. It's Charles' idea (and Charles always has good ideas).

When the laugh escaped my lips, I didn't know if it was because of number four or the fact he signed his name at the bottom.

We invited everyone over for Christmas Eve dinner while it was decided that New Year's Eve would be celebrated at Max's house. Gabby was even flying in and I knew she would've been here if it weren't for the exhibit she was currently having at the studio.

"Here she is." A voice from my right said and I looked up to see Max grinning at me, a hoard of people following behind me. I squinted my eyes as I moved my sunglasses to the top of my head, seeing a cameraman, two women holding clipboards, and another woman holding a microphone.

Oh, fuck no.

I put my sunglasses back on, standing up to leave because I knew Netflix was trailing behind him. Before I could even run, Max's hands grabbed my arm and he spun me around.

"You are dead, Verstappen." I said under my breath as the camera crew stopped in front of us.

"Just smile and I'll buy you coffee beans from back home." He bribed, nodding his head when I raised an eyebrow. "And say a few nice things about me."

"You're pushing it." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Ms. Kaplan," One of the women greeted, and I remember her as the one I escaped from a few months back. "It's great to see you again. Mind saying a few words about Charles and Max?"

The microphone moved over my head and I instinctively backed away, surprised by the movement. My eyes caught a flash of red a few feet away and I held myself back from rolling my eyes upon seeing Charles' amused face as he pulled out his phone and snapped a photo.

"They're both amazing drivers." I said, smiling as I saw Max nod enthusiastically beside me. "I only hope that Max would have the same skills so that he'd have the chance to winning a championship in the future."

He stopped nodding his head as it whipped towards me, and I felt his glare before I even saw it. "I thought I told you to say nice things about me."

I smirked and gave a small pat on his shoulder. "Next time, bribe me with Ethiopian coffee." I gave a small smile at the camera crew who was watching us with amused faces before leaving Max to the wolves. As I walked towards Charles, I turned back around to see Max talking to the crew again and subtly giving me the finger as he held his arms by his sides.