Chapter 1 - Zindagi Ek Safar Hain Suhana!

It was a lazy Sunday dawn, the most peaceful time for the Choudhury's. The sun was brighter than ever.

Abir was sitting in his room, trying to play his new guitar. It was almost 5 pm. His father was still in his nap. His mom, just like every other Bengali mother was busy in her serials. Abir shouted from his room –

Abir: Maa....Please reduce the volume of the T.V.

Maa: No.... I am watching a very important episode....

He got irritated and went out of his room.

Abir: I'm going to the terrace.

His mother waved her hand without even listening properly.

Abir went to the terrace and started playing a tune.

There was a slow breeze blowing, which touched Abir's messy hair. He sat there with the mesmerizing view of the Howrah Bridge and the Hooghly River. The sun was almost setting. Abir was fully engrossed in guitar, when his phone rang. The id showed "Rudra".

He wore his specs and received the call. The other person spoke –

Rudra: Where are you?

Abir: At my terrace...Why?

Rudra: Ok, Mihir and I are coming.

Abir: Ok.

After 10 mins they came to Abir's terrace.

Rudranil Sen and Mihir Dutta were his childhood friends. They did their schooling together and were best buddies. Mihir lived with his mother. His parents got separated at a young age. Rudra on the other hand was orphan. His parents passed away in an accident when he was in 7th class. He had few uncles but they didn't look after him. They send money to his bank account but never called. After his parents death Mihir's mother took him in and they lived together. He moved to a nearby PG recently, as he wanted to learn to be independent.

They came and sat down beside Abir.

Rudra: What's up?

Abir: Nothing just trying to play the guitar.

Rudra: (excited) Dude I'm so excited. Tomorrow is our first day at college. I can't believe we all will be together.

Abir: Yeah Same here! I am so happy that we all got in.

Rudra: And do you know Shreeja is also in the same college!

Abir: (Smiles) yes bro but control your excitement...

Rudra: How can I? You guys know how much I like her. I have a huge crush on her since the 10th standard dude.... And now, even she is in the same college. I am just so happy!

Abir: (Smirks) Ha I know....

He turned to Mihir who was sitting all quite. Mihir being quite is rare scenery. He looked a bit off.

Abir: And what happened to you mister?

Mihir: Nothing...

Rudra: Btw, which college did Akriti go to?

Mihir: I don't know.

Abir: What do you mean? You guys are together, I thought...

Mihir: Actually we broke up last week.

Abir and Rudra looked at each other and busted into laughter. They were laughing so hard that Rudra was panting soon! Mihir was passing glares to them.

Mihir: Hey, that's so rude! Why are you guys laughing?

Rudra: Dude isn't this your 3rd breakup? And that too within less than two months!

Mihir: Yeah I know but I was really serious this time.

Abir: Shut up. You said the same with Pooja.

Mihir: Bro that girl was psycho... She asked me to marry her after 3 days of dating. What else do you expected me to do?

Abir: Ha that's true. But what happened with Akriti?

Mihir: I don't know. She was saying that I will change once I meet new girls in college. So before I hurt her she broke up! I mean what logic does it have?

Rudra: You always find these weird people (still laughing).

Abir: Yeah I have even lost count of how many girls you have dated till now!

Mihir: Same here!!!

Three of them started laughing together.

Mihir: So I have decided – no more love scandals.

Abir and Rudra started laughing again.

Rudra: (panting) Do you want to kill me? Stop your non-sense.

They were laughing when Abir's mother called everyone down.

She made tea for everyone and served it. After few more hours of gossiping Rudra and Mihir went home.

Abir was sitting on his chair with his diary. He opened a fresh page and started writing –

"Dear diary,

Tomorrow a new journey starts. My first day of college! I am happy that I don't have to worry about company, because I have my buddies. Shreeja will also be there. Tough in different departments, atleast I will have my old friends. But I am nervous for my department. I know no one. I have to sit alone and wait for someone who will start the conversation first. That's the problem all introverts face. I don't know what will happen. I am looking forward to it."

Abir went to his bed and set the alarm for 7 am tomorrow.

For the first time he went to sleep early, without even scrolling through Facebook.

The next morning Abir woke up with the alarm and rushed to the washroom. Then he started getting ready. The opened his wardrobe and stood in front of it. He wanted to wear something new for the first day. He scanned it few times and pulled out a blue check shirt.

He got ready and came out for breakfast. His father was already sitting there with the newspaper. Abir sat and his maa served him food. His father took out his wallet and placed a 100 rupees note on the table.

Dad: Abir, this is for your travelling fare. Today is your first day, so be careful. Don't roam here and there after college.

Abir: I know baba. This is the fifth time you are telling me this.

Dad: Yes but just take care.

After half an hour, Abir left for college. The feeling was different as he walked through his colony. This time he was in casuals and not in school uniform. He was not a school kid anymore. He was a grown up boy. The happiness was clearly visible on his face. He was lucky to get an almost empty bus on time. He sat by a window and took out his earphones. He started listening to music. Rudranil and Mihir had texted him that they will meet directly at the college gate.

Abir was a fan of old songs. "Bade acche lagte hain" was his favorite. He chose a song from his playlist and soon was fully drowned in the musical lines. The lines went – "Zindagi ek safar hai suhana, yaha kal kya ho kisne jana" – Truly these lines resembled his current feelings perfectly. A month ago, Abir was worried whether he would get admission in his dream college. And there a month after, he was on his way to attend classes in that same college. Life is truly unpredictable. You never know where it will take you next. So instead of being sad and worried, just live the moment!

After some 40 mins, he reached the college and found his friends waiting at the gate. Shreeja was also there. Mihir saw Abir and waved at him.