Chapter 9 - Do Dil Mil Rahe Hai

Life was great - College, friends and unlimited enjoyment. While the others were busy with their each other, Rudra and Shreeja were coming closer. They started hanging out more often. Sometimes they bunked classes and roamed in the city. Shreeja used to tell Nilanjana that how much she enjoyed his company. 

On one such day everyone bunked class and went to Victoria Memorial. Mihir's mother was ill so he stayed back at home to look after her. The other four spent the whole day there. Then they went to Maidan and sat there. 

They were chatting on the various places to visit in Kolkata when suddenly Shreeja exclaimed –

Shreeja: You know I've never been to the Prinsep Ghat!

Rudra: Are you serious! You live in Kolkata and you have never been there?

Shreeja: Yeah I know!! Actually I never got the chance.

Rudra: So today is the chance! Let's go

Shreeja: Seriously! Like now?

Rudra: Yeah it's not too far from. We can walk. And its 4pm now, we can see the sunset from there!

Shreeja: That will be great. Let's go guys!

Abir was about to say yes when Nilanjana stopped him.

Nilanjana: Umm we cannot go now. We have a test tomorrow, so have to study for that.

Abir: Test?

He was really confused and Nilanjana gave him a look. He finally got the message.

Abir: Ohh yeah test! We have test tomorrow. It's very hard topic. Sorry we have to study!

Shreeja: Then?

Nilanjana: Don't worry. You two carry on!

Shreeja looked at Rudra who knew why those two were not coming and was glaring at Abir.

Shreeja: Ok then. Bye.

Rudra: Bye guys. All the best for the 'TEST' tomorrow.

As they left, Abir burst into laughter.

Nilanjana: You are an idiot. You almost said yes to them.

Abir: Areh what could I have done. I had no idea about what you were planning.

Nilanjana: Hmm...Rudra really loves Shreeja. They should spend more time together.

Abir: I agree.

Nilanjana paused for a while and then Abir said softly.

Abir: So you want to go somewhere?

Nilanjana got up and said: Let's go to our terrace and watch the sunset!

They went to their terrace and stood there quietly. As they were standing, their fingers brushed softly against each other. But none looked and blushed instead. The cold wind touched their faces.

On the other hand Rudra and Shreeja were sitting on a bench watching the sun set down. Wind touched them too. There was a peaceful silence. Rudra was struggling hard to find a topic for conversation.

Rudra: So how is your family? All good I mean?

Shreeja looked at him in disgust and replied –

Shreeja: Are you generally this dumb or this happens only in front of your crush?

Rudra was shocked as hell. He stood up with a jerk and asked again to confirm if he heard right....

Rudra: My what?

Shreeja: Oh come on don't pretend now. I'm sitting with you with such a romantic situation and all you want to talk about is MY FAMILY?

Rudra was numb. Shreeja was looking really disgusted. He couldn't understand why! He slowly came back to his seat and spoke after a break –

Rudra: You knew about this?

Shreeja: Obviously, why do you think I'm hanging out with you then?

Rudra: Why didn't you tell me anything before?

Shreeja: What would I've said, that I have cracked the code of your liking me so let's date now!

Rudra stayed quite.

Shreeja: Stupid! The way you always want to be with me, talk to me and are interested to know about me; anyone will know that you like them.

Rudra didn't speak.

Shreeja: So when did this start?

Rudra: After the 10th board exams.

Shreeja: 10th!!!!! How?

Rudra: Hmm. I remember on the last exam day as we came out of the exam centre, you came to me and started discussing the paper. Without your knowing you kept one of your hands on my shoulder. At that moment my heart started beating fast. I didn't understand why. When I went home that day, I couldn't stop thinking about you. Then I knew I had some feeling for you which was more than friendship.

Shreeja was listening quietly. Her face had a big smile. Rudra continued.

Rudra: But I don't know when exactly I fell in love with you. It just happened like that. And I know its love because throughout all these years I just waited for you to show some interest in me.

Shreeja: I didn't know back then and when I realized, I didn't know what to say. You never told anything directly so I was confused. I was waiting for you to take some step.

Rudra: I didn't know your side Shreeja! I never wanted to ruined our friendship and loose you forever! But now the question is what do you want? And I assure you – whatever you want, I'll respect that! I promise.

Shreeja took a deep breath.

Shreeja: Come closer.

Rudra: (confuse) Huhh?

Shreeja: Yes you heard it right. Come closer.

Rudra shifted a bit closer to her. She then slides her arm into his and rested her head on his shoulder. Rudra smiled– So you want this?

Shreeja: (blushes) yes! It's good. WE ARE GOOD!!!

They didn't speak anything further and stayed in that position for few minutes. Then Rudra dropped her at home and went to his. Abir, Mihir and Nilanjana were overwhelmed to hear the news. They were very happy for Rudra and Shreeja.

Their lives got better then onwards. Mihir got the pass to pull Rudra's leg in front of everyone including Shreeja. Their focus then shifted to Abir and Nilanjana.

Rudra: Abir, now it's your turn. Confess to Nilanjana that you like her.

Mihir: Ok atleast give her some signs that you like her. Otherwise like Rudra you have to wait for so long.

Abir: (confuse) Guys are you mad? It's nothing like that. Yeah I do like her as friend but there nothing more.

Mihir: Who do you think you are convincing?

Rudra: We know you since childhood. You have never been attached to any girl the way you are attracted towards her. Their words had a point. 

It made Abir more confused.