Chapter 15 - Aur Phir Chal Diye, Tum Kahan Hum Kahan!

It was Thursday night. Abir was almost done with the packing and was just checking for the final time. He was very sad that he would be leaving everyone. More than that he was upset with Nilanjana, for still being at odds with him. His mind was suddenly diverted by a call. He looked at the screen and was surprised to see Nilanjana's name. He picked it but decided to keep things formal.

Abir: Hello.

Nilanjana: Ummm......Hi....

Abir: Did you call me by mistake?

Nilanjana: Do you think that?

Abir: Atleast the way you are behaving for past month, it's the only thing I can think.

Nilanjana: Ok leave that for now..... I'm at your terrace. Please come for once.

Abir: (surprised) What are you doing there? Any ways I cannot come now. I am busy.

Nilanjana: Please Abir, don't lie. Please come for 10 mins. I promise I won't take any long.

Abir thought for a while but finally agreed. He went through the stairs and opened the gate. Nilanjana was standing there facing the bridge. He came and stood beside her, as always. Both stayed silent for few minutes and then Nilanjana spoke –

Nilanjana: Thank you for coming.

Abir didn't reply.

Nilanjana: You know Abir, when I first met you I would have never imagined that someday you would become so important for me. I was elated to find in you. I loved hanging out with you. And this! Standing here for hours, listening to our favorite song is the best moment among all. But little did I know that things would change like this.

Abir interrupted her and said – It was you who changed things Nilanjana. I don't even know what I did to offend you.

Nilanjana: I know it's my fault. I was being silly. But it was awkward for me and I can't explain that to you. I can just tell you sorry for everything.

Abir: Is that why you called me here?

Nilanjana: No. I called you for this.

Saying so she handed over a wrapped box to Abir. Abir held the box and asked,

Abir: What is this?

Nilanjana: Open it, you'll know.

Abir opened the box. It was a watch. He was surprised to see it. It was a farewell gift for him.

Abir: Sorry Nilanjana but I can't take it. After all that is going on between us, it's too weird to take gifts from you.

Nilanjana: Please don't say know. It is a way for me to say sorry. You are leaving tomorrow and I don't know if I will ever see you again. So please keep it.

She took a pause and started again –

Nilanjana: Take care Abir. All the best for the new beginning of your life. I am so happy that you are achieving what you dreamed of. We may not be together but I'll always wish the best for you. I will always be your well wisher, just the secret one.

Saying so she took few steps to leave but Abir caught hold of her hand and stopped her.

Abir: What happened to us Nilanjana? We were so good and suddenly we are not even on talking terms. Can we please go back to normal? I DON'T WANT TO LOOSE YOU!!! Please!!!

Nilanjana placed her hand over Abir's and smiled.

Nilanjana: We'll try to stay connected ok! Situations change and we have no other option than to accept that. Don't think of it anymore and focus on your career. I know that you will be very successful one day. Have a safe journey tomorrow.

Abir: Will you come to drop me at the station?

Nilanjana: No....... I'm sorry... I have some works...... I can't.......

Abir: Lie!

Nilanjana removed his hand and turned to leave. Without facing him, she said –

Nilanjana: You were right. Good things should come to an end before it gets spoiled.

She then walked to leave the terrace. Abir was still standing there all numb. He was feeling a strange pain in his heart. He looked at the watch and a tear rolled down from his eyes. He stayed for few more minutes and then left. The whole night, he was awake; trying to process things. He wanted to confess this dilemma to her but couldn't.

The next morning everyone was rushing. Abir's train was on 11:30 am from Howrah station. The station was just 20 mins away from their house but everyone wanted to reach there before time. Abir was very sad. That was clearly visible on his face. The other friends said that they would directly meet at the station. It was around 9 am when Abir and his family left. After half an hour they reached the station. Rudra, Mihir and Shreeja were already waiting there. They helped Abir to carry the luggage inside. It was a busy morning. There were continuous announcements of arrivals and departures of trains. Hawkers were struggling to sell their products.

Abir's parents sat on a seat. The friends went aside to a food stall. Rudra noticed Abir's watch and exclaimed –

Rudra: New one?

Abir: Hmm.... Nilanjana gave it to me.

Everyone looked at him in shock while he described their last meeting.

Mihir: Does it mean that everything is over?

Abir: I think so.

Shreeja was about to add something, when they heard an announcement – "Howrah to Bangalore, Duranta Express will be departing from platform number 4".

They all hurried to the platform with their bags and belongings. The train was already there. Abir hugged his parents as they shed few tears. Then he turned to his buddies. He looked at Rudra and Shreeja and said –

Abir: Take care and always be together. You are the best couple I've seen so far.

They all hugged him. Then he went to Mihir who was struggling hard to hide his tears.

Abir: And you! I know you are an amazing photographer, so pursue your career there. You can do wonders. And yes find a serious relationship now (laughs).

Mihir: I am going to miss you so much dude!

Everyone shared a group hug. Then Abir got on the train and settled on his window seat. He waved everyone as the train started.

Abir's POV:

My heart was crying as the train slowly left the station. I was leaving this city. I was leaving all my loved ones here. Kolkata – I don't know when I'm going to see you again, until then goodbye love. Love!! I was leaving her behind.... I wished to see her again. Atleast for few seconds but I wanted to hold her hands and tell her that how much I'm missing her already.

He kept thinking of her as the train caught its speed and left the station far behind. But the main thing which he didn't notice was a girl, hiding behind the pillars. The girl, who didn't have the courage to face him; A girl, who fought back her tears but didn't have the courage to confess her feelings. A girl, who was there at the station and watched Abir, leave!