Chapter 7 - Char Kadam!

It was almost dark. Abir and Nilanjana were walking through the empty streets. There was slight thundering. The weather was perfectly romantic. Both were walking quietly.

Abir stopped at a roadside stall and asked her –

Abir: Wanna have some tea?

Nilanjana: Sure.

Abir went to the stall and came back with two pots of tea. Tea tastes something different when poured in a mud pot. It becomes far better. There were very few people present. Few children were playing on the footpaths. Few vendors were struggling hard to sell their business. There was an empty bench near the stall. They sat and slowly sipped the tea.

Nilanjana: Your friends are really cool. I enjoyed their company a lot.

Abir: Correction - Our friends!

Nilanjana smiled. After having their tea they again started walking. The sky was dark. It seemed to rain at any moment. Abir suggested walking fast.

Nilanjana: Rudra and Shreeja really have a sweet chemistry.

Abir: Yeah that they have but I don't think Shreeja has ever considered him more than a friend.

Nilanjana: I don't think so.

Abir: Why? What made you think so? Did Shreeja tell you anything?

Nilanjana: No, not that but you know girls can understand.

Abir was confused.

Nilanjana: So do you have a girlfriend?

Abir: (awkward) No...

Nilanjana: You never had a girlfriend?

Abir: No

Nilanjana: Why?

Abir: There no actual reason for it. I never thought of anything like that before, and moreover never found anyone to think of that that. I was mostly into studies and these friends. This college was my dream and I knew I had to work had to get in here. The cut-offs were very high. So my main focus was always that.

Nilanjana: You really are ambitious! Mr. Bookworm!

Abir: (laughs) Maybe I am...What about you? Do you have a boyfriend?

Nilanjana: I had one in school, 12th standard, but we broke up last year.

Abir: Oh I'm sorry!

Nilanjana: Don't be, I was the one to breakup (laughs).

Abir: Umm...why? I mean if you don't mind telling me.

Nilanjana: Oh Abir, stop being so formal with me. We are friends right?

Abir: Yeah, I didn't mean that...So why did you break-up?

Nilanjana: There's nothing to give details on...My feelings faded away one day and I thought it's best to end it on a good note, before things get worse. You know people evolve and so do their feelings for a person. So yeah I waited for few months to find the right time and we ended it, I mean I ended it.

Abir: He was ok with it?

Nilanjana: Not initially, But then I stopped taking his calls and ignored him. Blocked him everywhere and just like that he stopped doing those things. Moved on maybe.

Nilanjana: wow....It's really intense!

Nilanjana: Is it? I find it really stupid!

They were talking when it suddenly started raining. They realized that they were very close to their colony and ran on their full speed.

After running for a while they finally reached their buildings. They were already drenched in water and were standing under the shade. Nilanjana wanted to stay for a while and talk to him but Abir told her to go home and change her clothed before she gets ill. They went to their homes.

Later that night Abir was sitting in his room after dinner, trying to study but his mind was still on the roads of College Street, walking with Nilanjana. He closed his book and went to stand in front of the window to enjoy the rain.

As he opened the window, he saw her already standing on her window. Nilanjana smiled and waved on seeing him. She said something but the rain was so loud on the shades of the building that they couldn't hear each other.

Nilanjana then picked up her phone and called him. He received the call and they spoke –

Abir: Hii

Nilanjana: Hello, what's up!

Abir: You won't believe this but I was just thinking of you!

Nilanjana: Really what were you thinking?

Abir: Today's whole day. I really enjoyed the walk with you.

Nilanjana: Same here, I enjoyed it too.

Abir: The weather is so damn nice.

Nilanjana: Absolutely, It's so romantic. But here we are two singles!

Abir laughed.

Nilanjana: Ok tell me what qualities do you want in your girlfriend?

Abir: Ahemm......

Nilanjana: Oh come on tell me....

Abir: Someone who would understand me... You know I can't explain my feelings in words, so she should be able to read it on my face. And....Supportive, like if I'm feeling low then once conversation with her should make me feel good. And that's it I've not thought much about it.

Nilanjana: Hmm I see.

Abir: Now your turn what kind of man you want?

Nilanjana: Ummm someone like you!

Abir: Huhhh?

Nilanjana: Yeah... I mean....see – I'm kind of childish, I often take wrong decision and get scolded for it. So I want someone practical like you, who instead of scolding me would make me realize my mistake and help me to manage it, someone who will stay with me in problems. Even if he cannot solve that he will just stay by my side and most importantly, someone who will not judge me. With whom I can enjoy the long walks like today, without getting tired.

Abir was listening quietly.

Abir: So these are all my characteristics, according to you?

Nilanjana: Yeah and I like these things. Boys often say that girlfriends are expensive, gold diggers and what not. But I am not like that. You know like today for example. I don't want expensive gifts or costly dates. Roadside tea and just normal walks is all that I need.

Abir: So you are saying that today was a date for you?

Nilanjana paused. Both went silent. They understood what they have just said. She changed the topic and Abir didn't dig it any further.

After talking for few hours, Nilanjana looked at the watch. It was already 12 AM.

Nilanjana: Oh shit it's late. We have to get up early for college tomorrow.

Abir: Yeah ok. Good Night then.

Nilanjana: Good Night Abir. See you tomorrow.

Abir:See you!