Chapter 14 - Zaroori Tha

It was the big day for all the students. The Convocation Day. Abir and his friends reached the college early to get ready for the events. They all wore the black robe and the graduation hat. They were feeling epic. But Abir was a bit sad because he knew the possible reaction of everyone after disclosing the news.

After an hour all the students were made to sit in the auditorium. Abir searched for his parents and waved at them. They waved back.

Rudra: So this is finally happening. We are graduating!!!

Mihir: True! It feels like yesterday when we came to this college for the first time and today we will be leaving it.

Rudra: I can never forget these 3 years. The best chapter of my life started here.

Saying so he looked at Shreeja who was sitting with Nilanjana, a few seats back. The boys noticed that Abir was sitting very quite. Mihir pinched him –

Mihir: Hey what happened to you?

Abir: Ummm nothing.......

Mihir: Still thinking about Nilanjana?

Abir: No..... Not that..... I have to tell you guys something!

Rudra: What?

Abir: Not now. I'll tell everyone altogether after the program.

They stopped talking when the function started. The Dean gave a long speech and the junior students performed.

After all the performances were over, the students were called on the stage for handing over the degree. As Abir got the degree in his hand, he looked up to his parents.

Abir's POV:

As I faced them, I could clearly see the pride in their eyes. Maa as usual got emotional. And baba, tried to hide his tears but I could clearly see his eyes shine. They were proud that I was standing on the stage with the graduation degree in my hand, finally completing another milestone on my life. I was feeling that moment. Among all the claps, only theirs was the audible one for me. I wanted to scream on the top of my voice that – I DID IT!

Abir went down the stage and waited for all his friends to come. As everyone came, they hugged.

They went out of the auditorium and saw everyone's parents standing together. They congratulated all of them and clicked a group photo of them tossing their graduation cap high in the air. The kids then asked their parents to go home as they will enjoy and come later.

As the parents left, Nilanjana too started walking toward the main gate. Abir saw that and ran to stop him. Others too followed him. Abir called her few times but she didn't stop.

Finally Abir stopped running and screamed –

Abir: Nilanjana, I'm leaving Kolkata forever!!!!!

Everyone was stunned, including her. She turned and came close to him. The boys too came to him and questioned –

Rudra: What the hell did you just say?

Abir: I'm moving to Bangalore next week.

Mihir: (shocked) what the fuck Abir?

Shreeja: Why did you not tell us before?

Everyone had millions of question. Abir asked them to calm down and started explaining.

Abir: Do you guys remember that I always wanted to do MBA from IIM? So before our final term paper, I submitted the online admission form of few places and after our results I updated my grades. I didn't tell you guys because I myself wasn't sure if I would get admission in any of them. Yesterday evening I got a mail from IIM Bangalore that my admission form got selected and I have to give an interview there so that I can start classes immediately. And in future, if I get a job there, then I might have to leave Kolkata forever!

Everyone was silent. Mihir then spoke –

Mihir: When are you leaving for Bangalore?

Abir: By next week.

He looked at Nilanjana who was standing there all numb. Rudra came forward and hugged Abir tightly. Mihir joined them too.

Rudra: I can't imagine that you are leaving us all. Bro what will we do without you..... Our trio will break forever?

Shreeja said softly: Rudra don't say like this. He has to move forward to build the career that he once dreamed of.

Abir: Yes and I am just moving. Our friendship will never break dude. We may not be able to meet physically but we'll stay connected over the phone.

Mihir: Everyone says this same thing. But you know things change if you stop meeting people.

Rudra: Yes Abir! How many of our school friends are we still connected to? They too said that we won't lose touch, but you know that will happen someday.

Abir: Areh! They lost touch because they didn't want to remember us. We were not important for them. But you guys know how much we all mean to each other. I've spend half of my life with you guys. Just like Maa and Baba, you all are also my family. I can never lose touch with you.

They nodded and hugged again.

Abir looked at Nilanjana again, wanting her to say something. But she remained silent. She didn't even match eyes with Abir.

After sharing the emotional moment with everyone, they dropped Abir home. Nilanjana still didn't say anything and went straight to her house. Abir was very hurt but didn't call her. His heart forced him to think –

Abir's POV:

Enough is enough! I don't know what's going on her mind but if she doesn't care, then I will not bother her anymore. If she doesn't want to keep any contact with me then it's fine. I have put too much effort to make things right. Not anymore. I'll leave and think of her again. I'll leave everything behind.

Later that night Abir was speaking to Mihir over a call when his father called him. He didn't cut the call but took the phone with him.

Pradeep: Abir your tickets are confirmed for Friday evening.

Abir: Friday? That's just two days ahead. How did you get the confirmation so soon?

Pradeep: All thanks to Debasish! I met him today after your program and told him the situation. He knew few people from the reservation department. They arranged everything.

Abir: Oh!

Pradeep: Yes, so go and start packing.

Abir nodded and came back to his room. He picked the phone and said –

Abir: Did you hear that?

Mihir: (sad tone) Yes....... Dude you are leaving this city in just 2 days!!!

Abir: Hmm......

Mihir: We will all come to drop you at the station, just text me the time later. I'll tell everyone.

Abir: Ok

Saying so, he cut the call and went to the window. His eyes searched for her but she wasn't there. He still stood there. All he could think of was that her father helped in getting the tickets so she might know too. But still it didn't affect her. She didn't even bother to call once. If only he knew, how badly she was affected.......... She was hurt too and didn't have the courage to face him.