Chapter 28 - Abhi Na Jao Chood Kar!

Nilanjana stared at him with great astonishment. A slight blush escaped her lips as she said –

Nilanjana: People close to my heart call me by that nickname. And I have always considered you closest. So of course you can call me that.

Abir looked into her eyes and asked –

Abir: You consider me closest?

Nilanjana: Yes obviously!

Abir: Yeah, I'm your closest and you still couldn't atleast come to bid me goodbye at the station, 7 years back!

She didn't reply to this and just passed a fake smile.

Abir: Huhhh?

Nilanjana: (deep voice) I came at the station that day......

Abir: (surprised) WHAT?

Nilanjana: Hmm.... I was standing behind a pillar so none of you noticed. I saw you leave........

Abir: What the hell!! Why didn't you call me? You have no idea how much I wanted to see you that day. I wanted to hug you for atleast once and you!!!!!!! You were there but........

Nilanjana: I didn't want you to see me Abir.

Abir: (shocked) why?

Nilanjana: Because you were leaving forever and I didn't want you to see me and hate me for the rest of your life......

Abir leaned forward and held her hands. She shivered a little. Her palm was almost frozen. His warm touch made her comfortable.

Abir: Nilu how can you even think that I will hate you? Yes I was angry for your sudden change but I can never hate you. Not even if I wanted. That's how much you mean to me. Nilu I'm very bad with words so most of the times I cannot express myself. But just know that you mean the world to me and no misunderstanding can change that.

Nilanjana's eyes turned teary but she didn't cry. She softly asked – "Did you miss me like I did?"

Abir laughed on this.

Abir: Did I miss you? I can't start to tell you how much I did. You have to ask this question to the three idiots who are not here. Each and every day I missed your presence. And here again I am out of words to describe that exact feeling.

Nilanjana smiled as Abir continued.

Abir: But I think I have to show you something to explain my feelings further...

Saying so he removed his hands from Nilanjana's and put them into his pocket. It came out with his wallet. He opened it and pulled out a folded piece of paper. He handed it over to her.

Nilanjana: What is it?

Abir: See yourself!

Nilanjana unfolded the paper. Her face lit up as she went through the lines.

Nilanjana: Abir this is my blog!

Abir just smiled.

Nilanjana: How did you get it? As much as I remember you didn't have any interest in entertainment magazines!!

Abir: Yeah right. I don't read them but Mihir does. So when I was getting bored in the flight, I just went through one of those magazines. And surprisingly came across this. It was when I got to know that you are in the writing profession!

Nilanjana: But why did you keep it so securely in your wallet?

Abir took a pause and said: Because after 7 years I came across your name that day!

Nilanjana was quiet as Abir continued –

Abir: Nilu, within all these years, everyone referred you "she/her". Maybe because they thought that I would feel bad. But that day I finally spelled out your name on this page – NILANJANA ROY! I can't explain how much overwhelmed I was feeling. And moreover these lines..... Somehow it felt personal. As if you were saying this to me. So I thought of keeping it, also because I didn't know we would meet again!

Nilanjana: You were right. I wrote them for you. It was not only you who missed me Abir, I did too. I missed that comfort with you and those butterflies I used to feel when with you.

Abir again held her hands and said -

Abir: Nilu we successfully wasted a long period of time in guilt of letting each other go. Now let's promise each other that we would never let that happen again. I can't lose you!

Nilanjana: I promise Abir. Never again............

She was about to say something more but suddenly realized that the rain had stopped. But it was too late to go to the fair.

Nilanjana: The rain had stopped. I think we should head home now. It's late anyway.

She was about to leave but Abir tightened his grip over her hand and thus she couldn't get up. Nilanjana signaled him to leave her hand in order to go, but he firmly refused.

Nilanjana: What?

Abir: Ar ektu thak na! (stay a bit longer)

Nilanjana passed a soft smile and stopped her efforts to leave. They stayed like that for half an hour. No words and just pure silence. A satisfaction, a relief; The moment was nothing less than a magic. They were lost in each other's eyes. They sky was clear after heavy rain and the moon was brighter. Nilanjana again insisted in returning home. Abir though not in the mood, but eventually agreed. They started walking back. Abir was still holding her tightly. Nilanjana didn't complain. After a long walk under the shining moonlight and muddy lanes, they finally reached home. As they reached the gate, Nilanjana's eyes fell on the car.

Nilanjana: They are all back

Abir didn't pay much attention to that and walked inside. The main door was left opened and everyone was in there.

Their tensed faces were clearly visible. As soon as their eyes fell on Abir, they ran towards him and bombarded him with questions.

Rudra: Where the fuck were you idiot?

Shreeja: You said that you would stay here at home and when we reached back you were missing!!!

Mihir too was about to scold them but suddenly noticed at their hand. He pointed at that and said –

Mihir: Ahemm....... Guys were you guys together this whole time?

This made everyone quiet and their eyes too went at Abir and Nilanjana holding hands. Abir finally felt awkward and released his hands. Nilanjana had turned all red by then.

Shreeja: Nilanjana... Were you with Abir?

Nilanjana nodded in a yes.

Rudra and Mihir looked at each other in shock. Shreeja understood the situation and said –

Shreeja: Nilanjana your clothes seems wet. You need to change or else will catch cold. Let's go to the room.

Nilanjana: Yes!

She looked at Abir and passed a gesture of bye. Abir nodded. As soon as she left, the boys looked at Abir in amazement and asked –

Mihir: Bro what's going on? Do you care to explain sir........

Rudra: Are you ok Abir?

Abir finally smirked and replied – I've never been this good!