Chapter 3 - Ajeeb Dastaan Hai Yeh!

It was around 11 AM of Sunday morning. Abir had just finished his breakfast. Breakfast on Sundays, are usually late in bong families. Abir went to his room and peeked out of the window. A tempo was parked with furniture stuffed on it. A man of around middle age was instructing two people where to put those things. Abir went to his mother who was busy in the kitchen.

Abir: Maa there is a tempo outside.

Maa: Yes I know. Debasish da, I mean your father's friend is also there. Rest of his family will be coming by the evening.

Abir: How many people are there?

Maa: Three - Debasish da, his wife Geeta and their daughter.

Abir: They have a daughter? How old is she?

Maa: I don't remember actually, but most probably of your age.

Abir: Oh I see...

Saying so he was returning to his room when he mother stopped him –

Maa: Abir, one minute. Come here

Abir: Hmm what?

Maa: Rush to the general store and bring me bread and panner. Fast.

Abir: Ok give me the money.

Maa: Take it from my bag.

Abir took some money and stepped out of the house. The tempo was standing right beside their main gate. As soon as Abir came out, the man standing there smiled at him.

Debasish: You are Pradeep's son, aren't you?

Abir: Yes uncle.

Debasish: Yeah I guessed right. You were so small when I last met you.

Abir smiled.

Abir: Should I help you uncle?

Debasish: No dear, you were going somewhere right? Go. Carry on!

Abir nodded and left. He went at the nearby store and gave them the list. He was waiting when Mihir called him.

Abir: Yeah Say.

Mihir: Bro do you know Rudra is going out with Shreeja!

Abir: What? Give me the details fast.

Mihir: Areh, Shreeja had to buy some books. And she is very bad in bargaining. So she asked Rudra if he can come with her after college.

Abir: And obviously Rudra will never say no to her.

Mihir: Of course, it is a golden opportunity for him. And he grabbed it.

Abir: When are they going?

Mihir: Tomorrow.

Abir: Wow, that's great!

Mihir: Hey do you think we should also go with him?

Abir: Yeah I was just thinking that! He will surely act dumb in front of her.

Mihir: Do one thing, you speak to him. If I do, he will think I am asking just to make fun of him.

Abir: (Giggling) Ok. I'm at a store now. I'll talk to him once I reach home.

Mihir: Ok. [Cut the call]

Abir collected all the items and was walked back home. After few hours the whole family had lunch together and Abir took a nap. Later at the evening he woke up and sat with his guitar as usual. The neighbor's house was clearly visible from his room. He saw a girl roaming in their house. She was facing her back to the window, and thus Abir couldn't see her face. He didn't pay much attention to that and continued to play his guitar. He had been playing the instrument for almost 8 years and had really developed. He fixed the chords and started singing 'Gulabi Aankhen'. After half an hour of practicing, he stopped and kept the guitar aside. He then went to the drawing room and sat with his phone. On seeing him his mother taunted –

Maa: Here again... You and your phone....... Sometimes I feel like setting your phone on fire.

Abir: What!!! You were watching your serials....Did I say anything? Then why do you always have to comment on my phone?

Maa: Keep quite. And go to the neighbors.

Abir: Why?

Maa: Invite them for dinner.

Abir: Why me? I feel awkward! Send baba.

Hearing this, his father shouted from the bedroom.

Baba: No I won't go. I am working.

Abir: Uff ho. But I don't know them. How......

Maa: You keep saying that you are grown up right! So go and show it. Go and ask them to come over. And don't come back immediately. Stay and talk with them. Ask them how they are and etc.

Abir: Maa are you serious? You are asking me to gossip with unknown people?

Maa: Just do it (shouted)

When a bong mother is in mood of arguing, you should give up without even trying, because you can never win; same with Abir. He went to their house.

He pressed the door bell and waited. A girl opened it. On seeing that girl Abir was shocked. It was none other than Nilanjana.

Abir: You?

Nilanjana: Oh my God, you here?

Abir: Wait you know me?

Nilanjana: Of course I know you. I have been seeing you every day at college for the past 1 week.

Abir: You remembered?

Nilanjana: Yeah, why not? Are you saying that you are not worth remembering?

Abir: No...

Nilanjana: Means you are saying that you are impossible to forget?

Abir: (awkward) I didn't mean that...You are putting me into a trap!!

Nilanjana started laughing on his poor condition. Abir realized that her smile was more beautiful than her looks. He didn't know how to react. Suddenly a lady's voice came from inside – "Nilu...Who is it?" Before anyone of them could reply, the lady came out. On seeing Abir, she recognized him immediately.

Geeta: You are Abir, right?

Abir: Yes aunty.

Geeta: Yeah. Nilu's father told that he met you this morning. Why are you standing outside? Please come in.

Nilanjana: Oh yes, I'm so sorry I didn't ask you to come in. Please come in.

Abir went inside the house and sat on the sofa.

Geeta: Do you guys know each other?

Nilanjana: Yes maa, we are in same college. Infact, we are in the same department.

Geeta: Wow that's great! And now you are in same neighborhood.

Abir passed a smile. Nilanjana was the first girl who caught Abir's attention. And she was now his neighbor. Not only will they meet every day at college, but also at their colony.