Chapter 10 - Tu Thodi Der Aur Theher Ja!

Few days passed. Abir was confused about his feelings. Each time he tried thinking about it deeply all it did was to lead him to a dead end.

Abir's POV:

I don't know what I feel. I never thought of her like that. She really is special but love....... What is love? It has numerous definitions. How do I know if I am in love? The boys are right in one point though – I never have been interested in any girl like the way I'm into Nilanjana. But I can't call it love!!! It's just an attraction and the moment we stop meeting, it will all fade away.

He was engrossed in his thoughts when his phone rang. He received it without even seeing the name. It was her!

Abir: Hello, who is this?

Nilanjana: Didn't you save my number?

Abir recognized the voice.

Abir: Oh Nilanjana! Sorry I didn't see the name, was thinking something.

Nilanjana: (serious tone) are you busy right now?

Abir: No.....Why?

Nilanjana: Can you come up to my terrace?

Abir: Now? I mean it's dark already....

Nilanjana: Why are you afraid of darkness?

Abir: No it nothing like that....

Nilanjana: Then please come.

Abir: Ok, coming.

Within few minutes Abir went to Nilanjana's terrace. It was cloudy outside and would be raining anytime. She was sitting on the fence wall, facing the Hooghly River. Abir jumped and sat beside her.

Abir: Yeah, what's up?

She didn't reply. He asked again.

Abir: Are you ok? You sounded serious over the call.

Nilanjana: I was a bit upset. So thought maybe I could talk to you...

Abir: Of course! I'm here. Is everything ok?

Nilanjana: Actually me and my mom....ummm....We had a fight...She said few things, I said few things, one thing led to another and the argument got heated. I just came out of my house and came here.

Abir: Oh... what happened?

Nilanjana stood up and went toward the edge of the terrace. Abir followed her. The weather was cold and there were thundering.

Nilanjana: Sometimes I feel like my parents don't understand me at all. They always put their decisions over me. Like previously I said I don't want to shift but they didn't listen to me. I was ok in travelling a long way to the college but they were not. So they did what they want. And now..... I told I want to move out of the state after graduation and study media. You know we don't have any good courses of media here in Kolkata. But again, she said NO!!!

Abir: Don't be angry... It's a natural parent's thing. My parents stop me for everything too. But after all they want the best for us. They can never do anything that is bad for our future. Atleast not intentionally. And think it's good that you shifted here, otherwise we couldn't have met. I would have missed having a friend like you.

Nilanjana was silent. Abir again tied to speak something but suddenly rain started showering.

Abir: Hey come let's go in.

He turned to run inside but Nilanjana held his hands and stopped him. Abir looked at her with questions in his eyes.

Nilanjana: Ar ektu thak na! (stay a bit longer)

Abir stood by her holding her hands. The rain was pouring over them. None spoke a word. They were just enjoying the moment.

Nilanjana: I like this so much.

Abir: Yeah....

Nilanjana: Music?

Abir: Of course!

Nilanjana then took out her phone and played "Bade acche lagte hain". They looked at each other's eyes. There was a strange satisfaction. It was definitely a very special moment.

Abir's POV:

I don't know if this is love, but I love this feeling. I love being with you NILU!!! I can stay like this forever!

After half an hour, it started raining cats and dogs. At that point both of them were already drenched in water. Abir pulled her hands and took her under a shade.

Abir: We should go and change the clothes otherwise we'll catch cold.

Nilanjana: Thank you Abir!

Abir: For what?

Nilanjana: Just for being there with me. Just for listening to my immature problem.

Abir: It's not immature. Infact think it's pretty mature, to plan for your future. And trust me, tell your parent about your dreams after the graduation. They'll surely agree.

Nilanjana smiled and they both went to their houses. Later that night Nilanjana was engrossed in Abir's thought when her mom came in her room.

Geeta: You are still awake?

Nilanjana: Maa if you want to talk about what happened today evening; I don't want to talk about it. Leave it.

Geeta: So you don't want to go out of the state anymore?

Nilanjana: I still want that. It's my dream. But what's the point? You are again going to say no. And I don't to argue again.

Geeta: Nilu, think of my side for once. I am worried for you! What will you do in an unknown city where you know nothing?

Nilanjana: Maa how will I know anything if I don't go there. I have to stay and learn things. That's when I'll be independent.... Don't you want that?

Geeta: Obviously I want that but......

Nilanjana: It's ok maa we don't need to talk about it anymore. We'll speak once I graduate after few months.

Geeta: What happened to you suddenly? You left the house in full anger because I said no and now you are all chilled?

Nilanjana: Yeah because I realized that our fight was baseless. We can have this argument once I actually get admission somewhere out of Kolkata.

Geeta: Ok and who put this wisdom in your angry head?

Nilanjana: Abir!!

Geeta: Really! when did you meet him?

Nilanjana: He was with me at the terrace.

Geeta: So you two were soaking the rain together?

She didn't reply. Her mother didn't say anything further and left the room. Just then she got a text message from Abir.

- All good with your mum?

She smiled and replied – Yup and all thanks to you.

-  😊 Mention not madam. Good night then.

Nilanjana: Good night.

His text before going to bed brought a big smile on her face. She found it cute that he was checking on her. She then turned the lights off and went to sleep.