Chapter 22 - Ek Ladki Bhegi Bhagi Si

After few more minutes, they all felt hungry so stopped the car by a roadside dhaba. Everyone came out and starched their legs. Mihir went forward and asked for tea and some food. The rest took a seat at a nearby bench. Abir looked back and saw the same car that was following them. That car was a black Scorpio. It halted at the dhaba too, but at a safe distance. A man came out of that car and asked for tea. Abir felt a little fishy but thought of observing for some time.

Suddenly Shreeja's phone rang. On looking at the caller id, she stood up and looked at Rudra –

Shreeja: It's Drishti.

Rudra: Oh. Go ahead and talk to her.

Shreeja took the call and walked a little far.

Mihir: Who is Drishti?

Rudra: She is Shreeja's cousin.

Abir: Cousin? We never knew of her before!

Rudra: They were not that close. Drishti's and Shreeja's father were cousins but they had some internal issues. So both the families ended contacting each other.

Abir: So why is she contacting Shreeja now?

Rudra: Actually Shreeja's uncle, i.e. Drishti's father passed away last year due to cardiac arrest. At that time, Shreeja's family helped in emotional support. Since then the bond grew again, especially with Shreeja. They are sisters after all.

Mihir: That's really sad.

Rudra: I spoke to her on video call few times. She is a nice person, but really went through a lot.

Rudra and Mihir continued speaking but Abir's eyes were stuck on that black car. He was curious now. He stood up and started walking towards it. As he reached a good viewpoint, he noticed that the window was closed. He was trying to peep in but suddenly Shreeja came in between and stopped him.

Shreeja: What are you doing?

Abir: This car! It's following us for quite some time now.

Shreeja: Following? You are just over thinking. This car must be going to Murshidabad too, right? And this is the only way there.

Abir: But it stopped at the place where we stopped.

Shreeja: That's because this is the only food joint within the next few kilometers. Come on you know that. Stop behaving like a detective.

Shreeja had point but Abir was still not convinced. She understood that.

Shreeja: Ok if you still have any doubt, just let that car overtake us.

Abir: Fine!

They went on and joined the boys. After having their food, it was Mihir's turn to drive. Shreeja came to the front seat and Abir went back to hers. Abir asked Mihir to let that black car overtake them. Mihir reduced the speed and the car crossed and went ahead of them. It was raining heavily by then. The sky was covered with dark clouds. The weather had really worsened.

Shreeja: See, you were over thinking

Abir: Hmmm!

Rudra: Hey what did Drishti say?

Shreeja: Oh yeah I forgot to say. She is coming to Murshidabad tomorrow and will join us.

Rudra: Suddenly?

Shreeja: Actually she came to our house today for surprising me but got surprised instead! So I asked her to join us.

Rudra: That's good!!!

Mihir passed on a smirk.

Shreeja: What?

Mihir: So we finally get to meet this mysterious cousin of yours.

Shreeja: Mihir I swear, if you try to flirt with her she is gonna kill you. LITERALLY!

Mihir: Why, is she strict kind?

Shreeja: Not really!! But the trauma made her damn serious. She used to be this bubbly girl before. But now she rarely speaks to anyone, and always lost in her own world.

Abir: this change is natural. She lost her father after all!

Shreeja: I know. Even now she agreed to come here after I emotionally blackmailed her.

Mihir: Well I think that's because she has never felt the comfort with anyone before. And also don't worry, I'm not gonna flirt! Why do you guys think that I'll flirt with every single girl I met?

Rudra: Because you are like that. I know you have change or atleast trying to, but still she is saying just because Drishti's trauma.

Mihir: I get it. But I don't do random flirting anymore; totally over it.

Abir: Its fine then.

After more than an hour of drive their car reached a big iron gate. The rain had just stopped. An old caretaker greeted them with a broad smile. As they entered the parking space, Abir was astonished to see that same black car already parked there. He screamed –

Abir: Hey Shreeja look. What the hell is this car doing here? I told you something is wrong.

Mihir: What is the matter?

Abir: Bro this car was following us for a very long time, that's why I asked you to let it overtake. Don't you remember?

Mihir: Oh yes, it's the same car!

Rudra: Shreeja, do you know why this car is at your house?

Shreeja: Calm down guys! Yes, I knew this.

Abir: What!!!!!!!!!

Shreeja: Yes, this car is here because the person in this car was supposed to reach here with us today!!

Abir: I don't understand a single word you are speaking....

Shreeja: Remember the surprise thing?

Rudra: Yes???

Shreeja: Well Abir, I think now it's time to introduce you and the rest to the surprise! (To the caretaker) Kaku, where is she?

Caretaker: In the garden. She got wet in the rain so I asked her to wait there till I arrange the room.

Shreeja: Ok..... Abir you come with me. Rest, follow us.

Abir: Who is she? What is happening? I am so confused!!!!

Shreeja: Just come with me.

Saying so, she held Abir's hand and pulled him inside. Rudra and Mihir too followed blindly. The crossed the hallway which led them to the open garden area.

A girl was already sitting there. Hearing the nuisance, she stood up and turned to face them. As soon as everyone saw her face, they stopped. Shreeja smiled and looked at Abir. He was frozen like a statue.

Abir's POV:

I couldn't believe my own eyes. For a moment I thought that it was a dream. Within all these years, I have imagined this moment numerous times. And now, when it was actually standing in front of me I didn't know how to react. My eyes went teary but I had to control it. The one person I always wished was present in my life was now actually standing within 10 steps. My heart ached as she looked into my eyes. The same beauty! In a top, netted shrug, and denim jeans she stepped towards us. She was drenched in rain, from head to toe. Her wet open hair made her more beautiful. My legs suddenly felt heavy. I couldn't move. I was shocked. I was speechless to see her all of a sudden. And just like that in such a magical weather, I found her once again – My Nilanjana!!!