Chapter 26 - Phir Na Aisi Raat Aayegi!

As soon as Abir entered the room, his happiness knew no bound and he literally started jumping around the room.

Abir's POV

Thank you so much GOD!!!! I owe this to you!!!! I cannot explain what I am feeling right now. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! I am so happy...... I was an idiot. She liked me and I never understood that. How can you be so dumb Abir!!!!! But at the same time, even she didn't notice my feelings... And how will she? I never showed any signs.... But now since I know everything I promise to myself that I will correct everything. I will not let her go this time! Nilu, I cannot afford to lose you again!!

After 15 mins Abir changed and came out of his room. He was wearing a blue shirt and cream colored trousers. As he came to the garden he found her already waiting. She wore a red top along with the same netted shrug and black jeans. Abir also carried his jacked as the countryside area, usually gets colder during the night.

Abir went towards her and sat at the bench to tie his shoes. As he bent down, Nilanjana noticed the watch on his wrist. She exclaimed,

Nilanjana: Hey!

Abir looked at her and asked in a confused tone – What?

She pointed at the watch and asked –

Nilanjana: Isn't it the same watch that I gave to you?

Abir: (SMILED) yes!

Nilanjana: You still have that? I mean it is so old! 7 years....

Abir: How can I not have it? Yeah it has turned old and also stopped working several times, but I got it fixed. And now I wear it only on special occasions!

Nilanjana: So why are you wearing it today?

Abir: Because today is a special day. Atleast for me...

Nilanjana: And what is that?

Abir: (stood up and looked at her) Today is a very special day because, I got you back Nilanjana. And for me nothing can be more special!!

Nilanjana' POV

I can't!!! This boy never fails to me feel special. When I gave him that watch I never knew that we would come close ever again. And now, I want to hold on to this moment forever. I can't let go of him anymore. I want to hug you Abir and confess that how much you mean to me. This time I won't just sit back and wait for eternity. I promise that I would give all my efforts to win you back.

Her thought were then interrupted by his voice –

Abir: Shall we?

Nilanjana: Yeah...

As they reached the main gate, Abir noticed that the car was not there and realized that the others must have taken it.

Abir: Now how will we go?

Nilanjana: Why? We can walk.

Abir: What?

Abir: I would love to ....... But..........

Nilanjana: No more Buts.... Let's start walking.

Abir didn't get the chance to say anything further as Nilanjana pulled him on the road and started walking. They didn't know the correct way to reach their destination. But that's exactly what fun is when with the most favorite person.

The evening had a ghostly atmosphere. Pin drop silence prevailed on the whole environment. The crescent moon was pale and the sky was covered with the blanket of shinning stars. There were hardly any street light by the muddy roads. The stars and the moon was just the only source of vision. Abir took his took out from the left pocket of his trouser and turned on the flashlight.

After walking for a minute he coughed once to get Nilanjana's attention –

Abir: Well I appreciate walking with you but the place is too odd for that.

Nilanjana: Yeah I know it's all muddy due to the rain.

Abir: No I mean this is a rural place so it's obvious there can be snakes in the bush.

Nilanjana halted and looked at him. Her eyes had clear fear in them. Abir tried to control his laugh but couldn't. A soft smile escaped his lips and he said –

Abir: Is it this surprising?

Nilanjana: No but.............

Abir: (Laughed) don't worry, they won't harm you unless you tease them or step on them. So relax. Plus I'm here with you!

Nilanjana blushed on the last line but Abir didn't see that. She resumed walking.

Nilanjana: So your life changed within all these years?

Abir: Yeah obviously it changed when I moved out. That was the first time I had to live without any guidance of my family. But I found a great roommate – Sudheer! After getting jobs we rented a flat together. So it was fun.

Nilanjana: Didn't you miss Kolkata?

Abir: Too much. I missed those idiots, my family and the life I had here. You know it was cool in Bangalore but the comfort was always here!!

Nilanjana: Hmm

Abir: What about you? How did you manage to convince your parents to shift to Mumbai?

Nilanjana: Ha...Ha that's a whole chapter. I totally disconnected myself from everything after you left. Maa and baba noticed that. I used to spend most of my time alone in my room, writing and reading books. I got an internship while doing the diploma. And after a year the company offered me the job of a content writer in Mumbai. You were right Abir that it was not difficult to convince my parents after I had a good job offer.

Nilanjana took a pause. Abir was listening with great interest.

Abir: So your parents didn't stop you at all? I mean they went with you to Mumbai?

Nilanjana: No they did stop me initially.

Abir: Then?

Nilanjana: I took the job and went to Mumbai. For the next year I stayed alone as a paying guest. Then one day I fell terribly ill and was even hospitalized. This was when my parents came to visit me for the first time. They are my parents after all, so after observing my condition, Maa proposed decided to settle there. Baba agreed. Then we bought an apartment there and started staying together.

Abir: Sounds like happily ever after.

Nilanjana: Kind of. After 3 years of job I decided to expand my wings a little more. So I thought of writing a book. My boss was supportive enough to let me work for part time. And the rest of the time I focused on writing.

Abir: So how is your book going?

Nilanjana: Not going anywhere, stuck. I am literally blank with the ending.

Abir: What is it about?

Nilanjana: Murder thriller...

Abir: OMG! Taking thriller as the genre of your very first book is really a brave step.

Nilanjana: But now I'm regretting with this step. I have to complete the book by this month anyhow, otherwise Krish would kill me.

The last words caught his attention specially. He asked in a serious tone –

Abir: Who is this Krish?