Chapter 27 - Yeh Ratein, Yeh Mausam!

Abir's tone had seriousness and to some extent, jealousy. Nilanjana didn't notice that and exclaimed -

Nilanjana: Oh I didn't tell you about Krish, did I?

Abir: No...

Nilanjana: I may have missed that. Anyways, so Krishna Mathur AKA Krish is basically my publisher. But more than that, he is a fellow mate and my well wisher. We met through one of my colleagues and gradually became good friends. And thank god I met him; otherwise I don't know how I would have handled the stress of writing something of my own. He pushes me to such extent which I never thought I can go to.

Abir: So you are like into him now?

Abir's words compelled Nilanjana to stop.

Nilanjana: No never... What are you saying? We are just good friends and he is already with someone. My colleague and Krish are engaged. They are supposed to get married next year.

Abir's POV

I know I shouldn't have asked that question but I couldn't help it. She was continuously praising that Krish and I somewhere felt left out. Ok whom am I kidding, I FELT JELOUS! But it was as usual really dumb of me to directly ask that. And now I'm totally fine after hearing that the wedding bells of that Krish boy with someone else.

Nilanjana's voice brought him back to sense –

Nilanjana: Wait a minute........ Mr Abir, was that the voice of jealousy!!!

Abir: Huhh....... Jealous! Me? No....No.....Why would I be jealous!!

Nilanjana: (Blushes) that's for you to say......

Abir: Hmm

Suddenly Abir stopped walking and screamed

Abir: Hey!!!!

Nilanjana: What?

Abir: Are you sure that we are on the right way?

Nilanjana: Ummm, yeah I think so......

Abir: But I don't, because we are walking for almost half an hour now. Shreeja said that the market is 10 mins walk from her house!

Nilanjana: But Google Maps showed this way....

Abir: And when did you last check it?

Nilanjana: When we started walking...

Abir: Can you please check it now!

Nilanjana unlocked her phone and logged into Google maps. After few seconds she looked into Abir's eyes with great shame.

Nilanjana: There is no network!!!!

Abir: Obviously there won't be any network!!! We are in a rural village Nilanjana. There are not even proper street lights here and you think you'll get internet? I thought you have memorized the direction!!!!!!!

Nilanjana, with embarrassment in her tone and shining puppy eyes softly whispered the word "Sorry". After thinking for a while he realized that they were lost.

Nilanjana: Let's call the others and ask for the way!

Abir: There is no network STUPID! How will you call?

Nilanjana passed a "whatever" look.

Nilanjana: O....Ok.... Don't you dare make fun of me now!!!

Abir was laughing at her foolishness when suddenly few drops of rain fell on his face. He looked up at the sky and realized that the weather was about to get worsen.

Abir: We need to find a shelter immediately.

Before she could react, he pulled Nilanjana by her hand and started running. Nilanjana followed him without even asking any question.

Within a while it started raining even harder. The sight gradually became blurred because of the heavy showering. The roads also turned slippery and made it difficult to even walk. But Abir didn't stop running. He was sure enough that due to the storm, there is a great possibility of any kind of accident. So he desperately wanted to be safe at first. After running few more steps Nilanjana spotted a small, broken and thatched hut. Abir spotted it too but didn't pay attention to that. She pointed towards that and screamed loudly for Abir to hear her.

Nilanjana: Abir we should go there!!

Abir: But that looks abandoned and shabby. How can we go there?

Nilanjana: So what? Are you expecting to find a 5 star resort here? Shut your mouth and come.

Saying so, she pulled Abir towards that hut. They ran on their full speed and managed to reach the shade. Nilanjana courageously entered in the hut first.

As soon as she stepped into the house, something from top fell on her. It was a piece of straw, but Nilanjana mistook it as a snake. She got frightened and screamed. Before even observing it carefully, she turned back to run. Abir was obviously standing behind her and as soon as she tried to run, she clashed with Abir. But Abir was conscious enough and thus held her tightly in his arms. It was a HUG! Time stopped for Abir. His heart had that small ache. He never expected this moment.

Nilanjana was not aware of it. She still had that fright. Abir tries to speak but having her in his arms, made it difficult for him to speak. Nilanjana had closed her eyes and was holding Abir's shirt tightly from the back.

Nilanjana: Ahhhhhhhh Abir....... There is a snake........... Save me please!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Abir: Calm down Nilu! Open your eyes.

Nilanjana: Naaa! I don't want to see it.....

Abir: (smiling) Are don't worry just open your eyes!

Nilanjana continued screaming. Abir grabbed her by the shoulder and made her face him. She looked into his deep brown eyes.

Nilanjana: SNAKE!!!!

Before she could scream anymore, Abir placed his finger on her lips.

Abir: Shhhh

She stopped screaming and stared at him. Abir carefully placed her messed up hair behind her earlobe. She shivered a little. The weather was too playing with them. The raining turned heavy. It was then accompanied by lightning and thundering. Abir softly said -

Abir: I'm here with you Nilu! I'll not let anything bad happen to you. Trust me!

Nilanjana: I do trust you Abir. More than I ever trusted anyone else.

The moment was just like a fairy tale to them; nothing less than a typical bollywood movie. They held the eye contact for few more minutes. Then a loud thunder brought them back to reality.

Nilanjana: But that snake....

Abir: It was not a snake. It's just a straw piece. See!

Nilanjana turned back and saw it carefully with the phone's flashlight. After that she laughed at her own foolishness.

Abir: The weather is not good. I think we have to wait the night here.

Nilanjana: Yeah! Let's find a place to sit.

Abir walked towards a bench and pulled it in front of the door to support their back. He then signaled Nilanjana to sit. They both sat on that bench but stayed quiet. Nilanjana after a long pause asked -

Nilanjana: Abir! Did you call me NILU?

For the first time ever,  Abir was not embarrassed. But he avoided eye contact and said – 

"Yes and I don't regret calling you that. I've always called you that in my head. And today, since it came on to my mouth, I'm not taking it back. NILU, please allow me!"