Chapter 4 - Baatein Kuch Ankahein Sei!

Abir was feeling too shy to speak anything. After thousands of mind rehearsals he finally spoke.

Abir: Aunty, maa asked you all to come for dinner at our place. Food is almost ready. You all can come whenever you want.

Geeta: Yes I remember you mother invited us. Do one thing you sit and have talk with Nilu, and then we'll go together. Is that ok for you?

Abir: Ok aunty.

Geeta left the room for the kids. Nilanjana was sitting right in front of Abir. She understood that he was too shy to start a conversation. So she took the step.

Nilanjana: So we are now classmates, as well as neighbors.

Abir: (smiled) I guess so.

Nilanjana: You know I couldn't have imagined that we will be sharing the same colony.

Abir: Same here. Maa told me that Debasish uncle has a daughter. But I never knew that it would be you.

Nilanjana: And here we are....Surprise!

Both of them smiled.

Abir continued the conversation –

Abir: So how is college?

Nilanjana: Umm....Nothing special.... It's hard to make friends sometimes.

Abir: I know.... I'm facing the same problem.

Nilanjana: But you have your group! I saw you chatting with them one day.

Abir: So you noticed me?

Nilanjana: Just saw....

Abir: (smirked) hmm

Nilanjana: What?

Abir: Nothing...Actually they are my old friends. We were in same school and luckily we all came in the same college.

Nilanjana: Wow that's so great.

Abir: Infact now that you are in same colony, you will now see them often. They almost come every day.

They were talking when Nilanjana's mother came. She asked Abir –

Geeta: Abir, what would you like to have? You came to our house for the first time. You have to eat something

Abir: Oh no, nothing aunty. It's late now. If I have something now, then I won't be able to eat dinner.

Nilanjana: Well in that case I can't force you. But next time you have to eat here with us.

Abir: Sure. I think I should leave now. When will you come?

Geeta: Actually Nilu's father is out for some work. I can't leave without him. But Nilu can go with you now?

Nilanjana: Sure....

Abir and Nilanjana came out and were walking though their colony. The street lights were dimmed. Few dogs were sleeping quietly. Some children were playing in the park with their parents. The sky was clear and the stars had more visibility. Cool breeze touched their hair. It was a relaxing environment. Nilanjana sighed and said

Nilanjana: This place is really peaceful.

Abir: You should see the view from the terrace. It's the best.

Nilanjana: I'll go tomorrow.

Abir: Why tomorrow? Let's go now.

Nilanjana: Now? At this hour?

Abir: Yeah why not. When your father comes we'll see from there and come down.

Nilanjana: Ok, fine. Let's go.

They went to Abir's terrace. As soon as he opened the gate, Nilanjana was mesmerized with the view. Imagine – Howrah Bridge with the flowing Hooghly River. Clear sky and stars shining brightly along with a cool breeze!!! It's nothing less than Heaven. Nilanjana went and stood at the edge, facing the bridge and the river. Abir stood right beside her. Both were silent.

Nilanjana's eyes were glittery. Abir understood that she was enjoying the beauty. He softly said –

Abir: Nights here are really to die for.

Nilanjana: It's absolute peace!

Abir: Totally agree. You can enjoy this every day.

Nilanjana: You know at first when I heard of shifting, I was really sad. I mean I've spent my childhood at our old house and suddenly leaving everything behind was tough. But I am so thankful that we shifted here. I have never experienced this beauty of nature.

Abir smiled.

Nilanjana: Earlier I was afraid that how will I adjust here. No friends and no known face. Now that I got you, I'm happy.

Abir turned his face away from her to hide his blushing face. Nilanjana didn't notice that. After spending half an hour together, they hear the sound of a car. Abir leaned to see.

Abir: It's Debasish Uncle!!

Nilanjana: Oh let's go then.

They went to Abir's house. His parents were sitting in the living room. On seeing Nilanjana they got excited. Asha, Abir's mother went to her and said –

Asha: On my God, You were just a little baby when I last saw you. Full grown up now!

Nilanjana smile and whispered to Abir – 'Papa said the same to you, didn't he?' Abir giggled and nodded in a yes.

Pradeep: How are you dear?

Nilanjana: I'm good uncle, How are you?

Pradeep: Fine. Where are your parents?

Nilanjana: Papa just came home. They will come soon.

Asha: OK then you can go and sit in Abir's room. I'll serve the food once your parents are here.

Abir showed her the way to his room. As Nilanjana entered the room, her eyes fell on the guitar.

Nilanjana: Damn!!!

Abir: (confused) what

Nilanjana: So it was you singing this evening?

Abir: You heard it?

Nilanjana: Of course I heard. My house is right next to your's

She looked at Abir who was standing fully embarrassed.

Nilanjana: So what's your favorite song?

Abir: Bade acche lagte hain.....

Nilanjana: Are you kidding me!! That's my favorite too!

They looked at each other and smiled.

Nilanjana's POV:

This evening, when I was sitting in the living room, I heard a very nice voice of someone singing. It was him. Abir is such a talented guy. He plays the guitar really well. I really look forward to know him more. I am sure he will be a very good friend. Though, he is too shy to talk, but I kinda like that thing. Otherwise most of boys behave like hell. Abir on the other hand is soothing and one can really enjoy talking to him.

Abir went forward and picked up the guitar to make space for her to sit.