Chapter 19 - Kolkata

It was around 12:15 when the plane landed at Kolkata airport. Mihir woke up few minutes ago and notices the change of excitement in Abir. He asked few times but Abir ignored by saying that he was just tired. Mihir gave up at last.

They took their luggage and went to a shop there. Mihir helped Abir in choosing gifts for his parents. After half an hour they finalized a pendent and a wallet.

As they stepped out of the airport, a cool breeze touched Abir's face. He closed his eyes to feel the moment. His moment was interrupted by Mihir's screaming. He was calling out a taxi. The taxi driver helped the boys to settle their suitcases in the car and then started for their destination. The plan was to drop Abir first and then Mihir.

Abir's POV:

My mind was continuously thinking of those lines. I was again diverted towards her. After so many years I came across her name. Nilanjana!!! Each time I hear that I feel the chills running through my spine. But I didn't want to waste this moment of joy thinking about someone whom I can never have in my life ever again. So I decided to focus of the sceneries around me. I pulled my head a little bit out of the window as our taxi was passing by Maidan. The nostalgia was hard to describe in words. We all have spent half of our college life sitting in those fields. That whole area reminded of our old life - Maidan, Victoria, and Nandan. I just couldn't take my eyes of the road.

Abir turned to Mihir whose eyes was shining the same way.

Abir: Bro...

Mihir: I know!!! These places!!!!

Abir: We need to come here again. Everyone together.

Mihir: We will....But.........

Abir: What?

Mihir: Nothing... Leave it.

Abir understood what he wanted to say. Everyone might come together, except one. It seemed like when in Kolkata, everything pointed back to her.

Around 2 pm, the taxi entered Abir's society. He waved Mihir as he left. Abir's heart was beating fast as he walked up the stairs and pressed the doorbell.

His mother opened the door. Her eyes turned teary as soon as they met Abir's. She literally screamed out of joy and hugged him.

Asha: ABIR!!!!!!!!!! What is this!!!!!!!!!

Abir: (laughed) SURPRISE Maa!

Asha: I can't believe that you are finally here! Why didn't you inform that you are coming?

Abir: To see this priceless reaction!

They hugged again and this time his mother almost cried.

Abir: (smiled) Oh come on maa... Don't cry. I'm very hungry so please give me some food.

Asha: Of course. You freshen up while I serve the food.

Abir kept his bags aside and went to his room. He expected his room to be messed up but was surprised to see it as clean as it was 7 years ago. Obviously the credit goes to his mother. He straight went to that window and opened it with a hard push. He covered his eyes as soon as the bright afternoon light fell on him. He slowly removed his hand and looked at the window in front him.

The late night conversations simply flashed in his mind. That window was closed. There were wild vines all over it. It seemed as if that was not opened for a really long time. Thus the vines and insects made their new home in that corner.

After few moments Abir changed into comfy clothes and sat to have his lunch with his mother.

Abir: When will baba come?

Asha: He generally returns by 4 Pm nowadays.

Abir: How many days are left before his retirement?

Asha: 3 months.

Abir: Good. Finally he can get some rest after that.

Asha: Yes.... By the way I forgot to ask, why are you here all of a sudden?

Abir: (giggled) Haa, haa... That's another surprise maa! You'll know really soon. First let baba come.

Asha: Uff ho...Too much suspense.

Abir laughed and said - Trust me it's worth it. Ummm maa! What about the neighbors? I didn't see them since I reached!

Asha: You mean Nilanjana?

Abir: Hmm

Asha: Oh you don't know, do you?

Abir: Why? What happened?

Asha: They don't leave here anymore.

Abir: Huhh?

Asha: Yes, Nilanjana got some job in Mumbai so everyone moved there with her few years back.

Abir: Why didn't you tell me this before?

Asha: You never mentioned her, neither did you ask!

Abir's POV:

Yeah I never did. I always kept it to me; my feelings, my thoughts, everything. But I'm happy for her. She wanted to go there forever. Finally she did it. And I'm happy that her parents supported her this time. But somehow I expected rather wanted to see her atleast by chance. Maybe by now she would have moved on from all things that went wrong and we could have bonded again. But that's not possible anymore, I guess.

Abir ate his food quietly. Later he took some rest and it was around 4 PM when their doorbell rang. Abir signaled his mother that he will open it.

He went and opened the door with a broad smile.

Pradeep: (SHOCKED) WHAT!!!!

Abir: (went forward and hugged him) SURPRISE BABA!

Pradeep: Oh My God.... I'm so happy to see you here Abir!!!

Abir: And I'm happy to be here finally.

They shared some more family moment and then Abir made his parents sit together on the sofa as he went in to bring his bag. He came out with two gift wrapped boxes and handed it to them.

Asha: What are these?

Abir: Something small for you two. Just open and see yourself.

They were astonished as they opened the boxes.

Pradeep: It's so nice but still you didn't need to spend so much.

Abir: Oh come on baba it's really nothing; Just a small gesture to show my love for you both.

His parents smiled and he was happy as he made them smile. Within few minutes the doorbell rang again. Abir went and opened the door with a soft pull. As soon as the door opened, someone jumped on Abir and they both fell on the ground. It was none other than Rudra! On seeing their condition everyone else busted into laughter. Rudra screamed –

Rudra: DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! I've missed you so much!!!!!!!!

Abir: I know and I've missed you too but for now I'm dying here. Can you please get up and allow me some oxygen???

Rudra controlled his excitement and got up. Soon Abir and he shared an emotional hug. Then Shreeja joined them too.

Abir then turned to his parents and said –

Abir: So you were asking why did I come here suddenly, right? These two are the reason (pointing at Rudra and Shreeja)........