Chapter 25 - Tune Jo Na Kahan!

The sun was almost on the verge to set. Its rays were scattered all over the place. The chirping of the birds was audible.

Terrace and sunset has always played an important role in Abir and Nilanjana's lives. And once again they were standing on a terrace, but out of words.

Nilanjana quietly went towards Abir and stood beside him. This time unexpectedly Abir took the initiative to break the ice.

Abir: You didn't go with others?

Nilanjana: No, I had a meeting with my publisher.

Abir: So full time into writing business... Good!

Nilanjana: Why didn't you go?

Abir: Ahh I had a headache.

Nilanjana: (laughs) you are still bad at lying!!

Abir: Huhh?

Nilanjana: You didn't go because you are in a shock to see me after all these years.

Abir's POV:

Damn! She still understands me so well. How do you do this Nilu? I still can't figure it out! But I think it's the right time to talk to you......

Nilanjana: Am I right?

Abir: Why do you think that I would be shocked to see you?

Nilanjana: Just felt like that. You didn't talk to me since I came here. Maybe that's why. I know how awkward you can be.....

Abir: If you know me so well then you should not have left me like that!

Nilanjana: Abir let's not go there please.

Nilanjana turned to leave but Abir caught her hand. As she looked into his eyes, she notices seriousness.

Abir: You cannot run from me now. Nilanjana, I have missed you every day for the last 7 years. You suddenly vanished from our lives. That evening at my house was the last time when we spoke as friends and after that you became a complete stranger to me.

Nilanjana interrupted him: I know Abir and trust me I am the only one to be blamed for that.

Abir: This is not a blame game, It's my bloody emotion. I had found a friend in you. I wanted you to be present in my life just like the others.

Nilanjana was quiet. And Abir realized that he shouted too much. He left her hand and softly whispered – Please stay here for some time. We have so much to discuss.

She returned to her position and stood there in silence. Abir took a long pause and spoke again –

Abir: You know, all these years whenever I missed you, I used to listen to our song – "Bade acche lagte hain". (Smirks) Those lines felt like a promise that you would come back to me someday. Every time when something or someone reminded me of you ad our fabulous time together, I just had one question...

Nilanjana: What?

Abir: Why!!

Nilanjana didn't reply.

Abir: Why Nilanjana? Why did you suddenly start behaving like that? Why did you ignore me? Why did WE, went apart?

Nilanjana: Because you didn't want what I wished for!! And I realized that if I stayed close to you I will again fall for something which can never happen!!!

Abir stared at her with a confused look.

Abir: Wha.....What do you mean? What did you want back then?

Nilanjana: YOU ABIR! I WANTED YOU!!

Abir went numb!! He could believe what he just heard...

Abir: What?????

Nilanjana: You never saw that Abir.... You never saw that how much you meant to me. You were special. I never wanted to lose you. I don't know how and when but I started liking you. That evening when you asked if I think of us being more than friends, I kind of got confused if I should confess or not. But before I could have said anything clearly you literally declared that "we can never be more than friends". And I quote this as your exact words. After this, what should I have done huhh? I couldn't go anymore close to you because I know you don't want that. That's when I decided to cut the strings. Not tell me did I do anything wrong at that situation.

Abir's eyes widened. He was listening to her very carefully. He took a long breath and then screamed on the top of his voice –

Abir: ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY????

Nilanjana got a little scared. She had never witnessed this side of his.

Nilanjana: I am sorry Abir!! I didn't mean to tell you about my feelings like this but......

Abir: JUST SHUT UP!

Nilanjana followed his command.

Abir: Do you even know that you are the biggest idiot on this planet? When you should have confessed, you stayed quiet. And now after 7 fucking years you are confessing that you too liked me!!!!

Nilanjana: What do you mean by "you too"? wait a minute............YOU LIKE ME, ABIR????

Abir: Areh of course I did Nilanjana. We spent so much time together. I felt good with you. You too were special for me.... How can anyone not like you!!!!

Nilanjana: AREH THEN WHY DID YOU SAY THAT....

Abir: Because I didn't know you side. I thought that you didn't think of me more than a friend. And I never wanted to lose you. I thought that if I confessed then you might get awkward and that would affect our bond. So I denied my feelings. But now ......... O MY GOD!

Both of them fell from heaven. Abir held his head and stood at a corner and Nilanjana was shocked looking at him. After a while they both looked at each other and busted into laughter.

Nilanjana: I can't believe this!!! Why do you think so much, dude! If you had just said it then we would have been different today...

Abir: We were just stupid, confused souls in their early 20s.

He stopped laughing and looked at Nilanjana and then softly said –

Abir: Hey

Nilanjana: Huhh?

Abir: It feels like I got rid of a burden on my heart.

Nilanjana: Me too. I'm glad that finally we are here together. There nothing to feel guilt about anymore.

Abir: True. Ummmm.... Do you now want to go to that fair? Umm...... With me!

Nilanjana: (Smirk) Are you asking for a date Mr Abir Choudhary?

Abir: (shy) Huhhh......... No...... Not like that........... I mean......... I didn't mean to put it that way........... But.......... I................ Mean.......

Nilanjana: (laughing) now that's the Abir I remember. Duffer!

Abir smiled shyly. It has been a long time since he smiled like that.

Nilanjana: Ok don't over think now please. Get ready in 15 mins and meet me in the garden.

Abir: Done Madam!

Nilanjana laughed as they both came down to the hallway together and went to their respective rooms.

Nilanjana: (screamed) don't get late! It is already dark outside.

Abir: Late? Today! No chance!

Her laugh could be heard as they both closed the door to their rooms.