Chapter 1

"Don't blame me
Love made me crazy
If it doesn't, you ain't doing it right."

- Don't Blame Me, Taylor Swift

-*-

October 1984

SCREECHES can be heard as a man in white hazmat suit spread fire with the flamethrower to the strange vine-like opening. Doctors can be seen watching this in a glass pane window. Emotions divided in both fascination and fear of the open portal to a different dimension that stood so close to them.

There attention was divided as one of there own staff opened the door in a mixture of disturbed and scared expression, eyes searching the room for someone.

"Is something wrong?" A doctor that seems to be in his early 60's stepped up. The eyes of the staff darted to him and spoke.

"We have a problem, Dr. Owens."

-*-

"She was seen yesterday in Melvald's General Store, 9:42 AM. She bought different kind of unhealthy snacks and went inside. Spent 11 minutes and went back to her own car?" Dr. Samuel Owens asked while pacing back in forth in front of the CCTV team of Hawkins Laboratory.

"Yes." The team confirmed.

"And you only told me now?" Samuel Owens raised his eyebrows with a strict voice. The group leader visibly gulp in terror.

"That's the thing, Dr. Owens," Samuel Owens' attention darted to the assistant leader when he spoke calmly. "This clip was not here yesterday. When we looked back..." he paused dramatically as he rewind the CCTV, "we saw this." He finished.

Samuel crouched to watched the CCTV yesterday with the time in the side that states 9:41. He watched it attentively and waited for a minute for someone to open the car door and get out but it didn't happen. Instead, a glitch occurs and the time in the side changed from 9:41 to 9:53. The car that parked there before was gone without a trace.

"Impossible." Dr. Owens exclaims breathlessly.

"When we slowed it down..." he again spoke dramatically and rewinded again to slow down the footage, "we have this." He paused the CCTV and they can clearly see a red hue from the side of the screen just before the glitch happened.

Dr. Owens fixed his posture straight from his crouched position and the room went quiet for a minute before he snapped out of his thoughts.

"How did you found out she was here when the glitch happens yesterday?" He asks, he looked at everyone from the eye just for them to look away.

"The glitch happened again this morning. Exactly 23 minutes and 56 seconds ago." He said then waited for seconds before correcting himself. "24 minutes and 2 seconds, 3, 4, 5..." he counted but stopped when Owens hold out his palm as a signal.