Chapter 24

"I didn't know that I was starving,
Till I tasted you.
Don't need no butterflies
When you gave me the whole damn zoo."

- Starving, Hailee Steinfeld.

-*-

NAOMI SAT quietly in her math class. The teacher has been lecturing the whole class about the usual x and y's that left the whole room somber.

The whole class has been fighting to not close their own eyes, some of them accepted defeat and started sleeping in their own desks while some of them listened and endured the two- hour long math lecture.

Naomi wasn't part of any of those two, as she has been distracted by her thoughts all these time. Thoughts about her daydream in the hallways that still felt real. She couldn't understand what was that thing.

Also with the fact that a certain someone who has a very nice hair has been plaguing her mind. She couldn't stop thinking about him.

Somehow Steve intrigued her.

They talked about everything this morning despite the fact that it was their first real conversation. They laughed, teased and bickered with each other like they were friends all these time.

She was comfortable with him.

Maybe because of the fact that he also knows what was really happening in Hawkins. Or maybe because he knew the real her. The real Naomi.

The Naomi who cried that night after killing her brother in that pumpkin yard. The Naomi who was going to sacrifice and ran away with Naveen to save his life. The Naomi that he comforted when she was in her breaking point.

Thinking about it, Steve has been the one who was with her that night.

The one who comforted her, the one who took her away and drove her to the police station for safety, the one who respected her privacy and the one who waved at her while she's driving away from Hawkins.

Him and the kids.

Not noticing it, she has been thinking about him all this time.

She shook her head immediately and looked at the wall clock above the board just to see that she's second's away from leaving this room.

The whole room immediately stood up from their seats after the bell rang. The teacher shouting about a quiz tomorrow she'll be giving before saying goodbye to everyone who didn't say it back.

Naomi took her time after seeing the students shoving each other just to get out of the room first.

After cleaning up her things, she wore her bag and looked at the door. After seeing the last student leave, Naomi finished combing her hair with her hands and went straight to the door.

"Goodbye, ma'am." She said while smiling. The teacher smiled and said it back before focusing on her papers.

She went to her locker to put some of the things she wouldn't need in her next class, which is English Literature, after lunch.

She walked inside the cafeteria and grabbed herself a plate then lined up. The cafeteria staff prepared a normal lunch for students.

They have the rice, pork chops with it's sauce placed neatly on top, some corn and carrots, and a box of a healthy juicebox.

She quickly found Robin in the room full of students, as she was the only one standing in the chair and waving at her, shouting her name.

"Naomi!"

She laughed at her friend and shook her head at her. She immediately went to her table just in time that Robin jumped to get to the ground.

"Seriously?" She questioned, amusement can be seen in her eyes. Robin shrugged at her.