Chapter 22

"I want your love and,
I want your revenge
You and me,
Could write a bad romance."

-Bad Romance, Lady Gaga

-*-

SHE WAS SATISFIED.

With Robin and her finally at peace after all the issues they dealt, she decided to visit her friends. After grocery shopping, of course. She need that food to survive.

She drove her car to the nearest grocery store and entered. She grabbed a cart along the way and continued walking towards the meat section. She has this urge to eat chicken yet she remembered she didn't know how to properly cook it. She settled with some meat she knew she can cook like bacon and whatnot.

She picked a box of cereals and scanned it before putting two boxes in her cart. She bought a carton of milk and chocomilk for another flavor. She bought a lot of snacks before buying her female necessities.

On her way to the female section, she saw someone very familiar. She was about to walk around him when he called her name.

"Scott, is it?" He asked. Naomi looked back and smiled politely.

"Yes? Do I know you?" She asked him.

"You don't, but we met before." He nodded. Naomi knew they met before. He just looked different without the red eyes.

"Eddie. Eddie Munson." He introduced before sticking his hand out for a shake.

"Naomi, Naomi Scott." She accepted his hand and shooked it.

"It's nice seeing you back." He said before walking away, looking sideways cautiously.

Naomi's forehead creased in curiosity. Is he hiding from someone?

She shooked her head and went to the other direction before bumping into someone.

"Shit!" Someone muttered.

"Oh, I am so sorry. It's my fault---"

"Naomi?" She looked up from picking a can of hairspray to look at the person she bumped.

"Dusty?" She asked, a smile forming in her lips.

"Naomi!" He shouted before going in for a hug, he pulled away and looked at her, "you look different." He concluded. She unconsciously touched her hair before a strained laugh went out in her mouth.

"Well, I was overdue for a makeover." She joked. Dustin laughed at that.

"I like it. It's just... We don't have the same hairstyle anymore." Naomi's eyebrows went up at the statement.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, we look better alike." He said jokingly making both of them laugh. He dragged Naomi to the female section, to where Naomi was actually going, in hopes to have a conversation with the teenage girl more.

"When did you came back?" He immediately asked. Naomi shrugged and let out a raspberry before answering honestly, "yesterday."

"and you didn't visit me?" He asked, offended.

"Well, I have matters to take care of before actually saying my hello's to all of you. Jonathan knows I came back. He's my classmate in chemistry class, my first period."

"Jonathan might've told Will but I didn't really talk to them lately." He said.

"Why?" Naomi asked, her forehead creasing. She knew for the fact that those four boys are the best of friends.

"But not like because we were fighting." Dustin immediately defended his friends, "It's because of the upcoming WinterBall that's happening in our school. Mike's busy with Eleven, catching up and all. Will is too busy thinking who will he ask and Lucas, well he's busy thinking of ways on how to ask Max to the Winterball."

"And you?"

"Well, I've been hanging out with Steve lately. He's teaching me ways on how to properly style my hair for the ball." He said, smiling up at her. Naomi watched as Dustin continued talking about his days with Steve. She knew about Dustin's dad, since Claudia told her about it. About how he died before Dustin was born and seeing him talking about Steve like a brother-figure or the person he really looked up to, warms her heart for some unknown reason.

"Explains the hairspray?" She teased before picking up some tampons and putting in her cart.
"Oh stop." He grumbled.

"What? It's nice. It means you worry if you look presentable or not. It means you're growing up." She laughed. She knew what she said doesn't make any sense.

"Let's just go to the cashier." He stomped away.

"Can you pay for mine too, young man?" She called, a mischievous smile still on her face.

She laughed harder when Dustin flipped her a middle finger while still walking towards the long line in the cashier.

She shooked her head before pushing her cart and stopped behind him.

-*-

After a lot of teasing and bickering, Naomi and Dustin finally exited the grocery store. Dustin decided that he'll ride with her, since they are neighbors and all. She doesn't have a say in it, but it's not like she doesn't want Dustin to ride with her. In fact, she was amazed at how much the kid got confident with his decisions. Maybe Steve has a rather good influence on him (the bad influence was making Dustin obsessed with his looks). She was thankful to Steve for looking out for him. She knew that sometimes Dustin felt lonely in his own little group of friends.

The conversation between the two of them didn't stop as they drove on the way to their houses. Naomi slowed down her car when a large truck appeared in front of her car. The truck was carrying a sack of cements - a lot of it.

"That must be for the new mall." She heard Dustin whispered.

"Mall?" She asked.

Hawkins is a small town and building a mall seems like a shocking news.

"There's a lot in here that can fit the size of a mall?" She questioned after seeing Dustin nod at her first question.

"Well, no." He said, making Naomi's brows meet, "but they cleared one." He said.

"Cleared? You mean, cutting trees?" She questioned. It may not seem like it but Naomi is inlove with Nature. She loves everything about it and hearing that people cut it for a mall that people in Hawkins doesn't even need?

She scoffed, "they better plant some back."

"I'm sure they did and people seems excited with the upcoming mall." He tried cheering her up.

"By people, do you mean teenagers?" She asked him. Her brows arched.

"Well, there's a lot of oldies that likes it." He said.

"I don't think the other shop owners will like this very much." She ended the conversation.

They passed by the cleared area where a lot of people wearing helmets and PPE are organizing and talking, working even.

They've cut a lot of trees.

A lot.

Naomi quickly looked away to not upset herself much longer. She drove away and continued her conversation with Dustin.

...yet she couldn't stop what she felt.

Her heart has this gnawing feeling that that mall is just the beginning.

-*-
EDITED