Chapter 17

"Every conquest I had made
Would make more of a boss to you."

- The Man, Taylor Swift

-*-

"I SAID MEDIUM WELL!" Lucas shouted at the top. Naomi squinted her eyes at them, unable to see them as the sun is positioned behind the two figures.

"Who's that?" She heard Steve Harrington asked to Dustin, who won't answer for some reason.

After the two figures went down, Dustin and Lucas began talking behind a worn down vehicle. While, Naveen dragged Naomi at the side.

"Have you fought some of these things before?" He asked her. Naomi shook her head.

"No, all I ever fought were humans. Who were rather defenseless and weak, if I might add." She said to him. Naveen's forehead creased in distubance and shook his head quickly.

"I don't really wanna know about your killing spree." He said. Naomi pouted at him.

"I was just a kid." She complained.

"How does that make me feel better?" He exclaimed.

"I was doing it for you?" She said, cautiously. Naveen shrugged at her.

"Okay, maybe it'll gonna be in the tolerable topic."

"Hey. How come the only one helping me is this random girl?" They heard Steve complained at the distance.

Naomi stopped Naveen when he started walking towards the group.

"Look, you don't have to worry about those creatures. I will protect you." She said, wholeheartedly.

"Naomi." He grumbled at her.

"Right. Letting you decide what you wanna do." She snapped her fingers after remembering the promise she made, "have you decided that you want me to protect you?" She asked.

"What for? The force is still protecting me." He asked.

"Well, we can't just lean on that idea and leave you unprotected." She said. Naveen groaned at her and left.

"Was that a yes or a no?" She shouted, "Naveen?" She shouted.

"Naveen!" She shouted at him after seeing him enter the worn down bus, "Oh, for pete's sake." She grumbled and followed him.

-*-

It was dark outside and the group inside was cautiously waiting for the outcome.

"So you really fought one these things before?" Max asked which Steve answered with a nod, "and you're like totally a hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?" She asked, still not grasping the idea.

"Shit, don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear." Naomi's eyes went wide at Dustin's sudden outburst, "why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home." He continued. 

"Geesh, someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max retort back before climbing up the ladder to the top of the bus to go to Lucas.

"That's good. Just show her you don't care." Steve said.

"I don't care." Dustin answered back. The twins sitting side by side, their heads simultaneously looking at both of them, turning at the same time.

"Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

A monstrous growl caught all of their attention. They all stood straight and started clutching their makeshift weapon. Naomi and Naveen standing in a comfortable stance to start a fight.

"You see him?" Steve asked Dustin, both of them looking at the window to catch a sight of Dustin's pet.

"No. Lucas! What's going on?" He called to the teen at the top of the bus.

"Hold on!" He shouted back, looking at his telescope to look around, "I've got eyes. Ten o'clock!" Lucas yelled to let them know. All of them looked at the direction to see a dog-like creature standing stiffly.

"What is he doing?" Naomi asked, confused as to why Dustin's monster pet was just standing at the middle of the fog. I mean, it's not really a monster-like attitude.

"I don't know." Steve answered her, "He's not taking the bait." He noticed.

"Maybe he's not hungry." Dustin suggested.

"Maybe he's sick of cow." Steve said in realization, Naomi gasped, everybody looking at her. She looked at Steve's direction.

"Look, I'll be fine --"

"That was cow?" She asked, looking horrifed, accidentally cutting Steve off. She looked at her hands in disgust. Naveen sighed and rolled his eyes.

"What do you think?" Naveen asked her, sarcastically.

"I don't know.  Chicken or pig?" She said, harshly rubbing her hands in her brown cardigan.

"How is that different? Stop rubbing your hands, you were wearing the gloves." Naveen said, slapping her hands to make it stop.

"We eat chicken and pig all the time." Naomi reasoned back.

"And we don't eat cow all the time?" Naveen asked, done at his twin sister's dramatics.

"I don't!" She answered back.

"Guys?!" Lucas' voice caught their attention. Steve started clutching his bat tighter and walked to the door of the bus.

"Steve?" Dustin called but the teen ignored him, "Steve, what are you doing?" He added frantically. Steve looked back at them, clutching his bat and the lighter. "Just get ready." He ordered.

He went out the bus. The three looking at him at the windows. All of them watched as Steve started swinging his bat to clear of the fogs.

Until, the group heard a growl. What was weird is that it didn't came from the monster that they were targeting. Naomi looked at the side just to see another one appearing.

"Shit..." she whispered, grabbing Dustin's and Naveen's attention. The two turned their heads to the direction that Naomi was watching. Their eyes widened in shock and panic.

Until they saw another one appearing behind it. A sudden growl sounded in the other direction. Naomi's head turned on the other side and her breath started hitching at the sudden change of situations. This was not included in the plan.

"Dustin..." She called.

"Shit! Steve! Steve!" Dustin shouted, "ABORT! ABORT!"

Steve saw one of those creatures attacked him, causing him to swing his bat to protect himself and ran back to the van after seeing they are a lot of those creatures.

Dustin opened the door to let him enter. Steve entered the bus, until one of those creatures jumped, ready to grab his legs, but right on time, they closed it.

The claws of the dog-like creatures sank in the walls of the bus -- their very own fort--- and shake it.

Screams of terrors and growls echoed in the middle of the night, that came by the mouths of the children and Steve, whose ordering them what to do.

Foot steps can be heard at the top. Max, standing beside the ladder, looked up and saw the dog-like creature standing. She screamed as the creature opened its mouth. Ready to devour someone.

Steve left his position and grab his bat to protect the redhead. He was ready to swing it when the creature's stance changed, ready to attack.

"Get back! You want some of this?!" He shouted.

The creature growled and jumped, Steve got his bat ready, when a red force met the creature and it exploded.

They turned around to the source just to see Naomi Scott's red eyes with her hands raised, eyes turning back to its original blue color.

"What the hell?" Steve said, shocked.

-*-
EDITED