Chapter 3

"I'm holding on for dear life
Won't look down
Won't open my eyes."

- Chandelier, Sia

-*-

Illinois, Chicago
May 1980

12- YEAR OLD NAOMI watched the woman entered the train with her daughter and continues to follow her target. She chose a seat not far away from them. The woman she's following seems to be in a hurry.

She waited for a few minutes before she saw the woman whispered something to her daughter, stood up and went to the direction of the bathroom.

She followed her and started acting like she was in a line to avoid the suspicious looks of the other passengers. That is when she realized the other cabin is completely empty. Great. It is after all 4:00 in the morning. She looked around before closing and locking the door of the cabin as she waited for her target.

Jasmine Wayne walked out of the bathroom and smiled at the kid.

"It's your turn now, sweetie." She said then started to walk away.

She doesn't recognize me? Is it the hair?

Naomi unconsciously touched her wavy shoulder length hair before snapping out in her thoughts when she heard the rattle of the sliding door of this cabin to the other where her daughter is now.

"It won't budge." She said blankly while looking at the older woman.

"Oh? You tried it?" She said, still using that damn soft voice.

If Naomi doesn't know better, she'll think this woman in front of her is completely innocent. Too bad she remembers what she did that day.

"Oh, no." She said making the forehead of Jasmine Wayne creased, "...it won't work for you. But it'll work for me." She added.

"Look kid, no pranking today okay? I have a daughter waiting for me in the other cabin." She tried to explain.

"Does your daughter have a lovely father?" She asked the woman. The woman smiled, thinking about something else.

"Is this what this is all about? Look, I can let you meet my husband or guide you to the nearest orphanage. You can have a family there, all you need to do is open this door." She bargained but the stern order can be traced in her voice. Jasmine Wayne thought that that kid is a beggar or an orphan (which she is, but she can live by herself. Thank you very much)

"So she does." She voiced out loud, "Good. She'll need the guidance." She said before making her eyes glow red while looking directly in the older woman's eyes.

"You..." Her eyes widen in surprise and fear before her lungs stopped working. She felt a strong force holding her neck, slowly making her float.

"Stop... Please..." She croaked, pleading for her life.

Naomi freed her, letting her fall to the metal floors with a thud. She walked slowly to the mother who crawled away from her, still desperately finding some air. She continues to crawl backwards before her back felt the metal door of the cabin, stopping her.

Her eyes glowed red, brighter than before. Then the train starts to speed up, the announcement of the conductor to tell everyone to calm down and just sit still echoed in the train. Jasmine's eyes widened, remembering her daughter.

She turned around and banged the metal doors in desperation to save her and her daughter's life. However, her banging to the door doesn't make any noises which resulted her to punch the door with so much force, her knuckles starts bleeding.