Chapter 25

"You promised the world,
And I fell for it.
I put you first,
And you adored it."

- Lose You To Love Me, Selena Gomez

-*-

NAOMI ENTERED the Henderson household in a hurry. Dustin called her saying its some kind of an emergency.

"Dustin!" She called. Dustin immediately appeared and dragged her on the kitchen, "what's wrong?"

She noticed that Dustin was dressed formally. He was wearing a tux as he continued on flipping the contents of the table and shouted 'aha!' really loud that it made Naomi jumped in shock.

"Oh goodness!"

Naomi turned around and saw Claudia standing on the kitchen threshold, her hands on her chest, "Dusty! What did you do to my kitchen?" She asked softly.

Naomi smiled at the sight of the mother. The same warm feeling that she always feel around the woman engulfed her whole body.

Comfort.

That warm feeling was comfort.

"Mrs. Henderson."

Claudia only realized that it was not only her son on the kitchen, but also her honorary daugter, Naomi.

"Naomi, dear." She called and immediately pulled her on a hug.

"Goodness, you've lost a lot of weight! I have to do something about that." Claudia said as she hurriedly went to the direction of their own refrigerator and opened it. She pulled out a lot of containers and placed them on the kitchen counter.

"Mom, we have no time for that! I'm gonna be late!" Dustin complained.

"Late for what?" Naomi asked and just in time, someone's car honked.

"Thank god, he's here!" Dustin sighed and ran to open the door.

"Who's here?!" Naomi shouted.

"Oh dearie, ignore him. Come, sit." She ordered and opened the containers one by one.

Naomi felt her stomach grumble at the sight of the food. There are coleslaw, carbonara, spaghetti, lasagna, carrots and corns, and fruit salad.

Claudia didn't stop there and ran to the refrigerator to pull a box of pizza, probably leftovers.

"Why do you have a lot of foods, Mrs. Henderson? Is there a party?" She asked as she took the spoon the older woman handed.

"Oh, you know. I'm always on the house and I have nothing to do. The money that my husband left for us was enough to last us a lifetime and Dustin rarely gets home now. Meow is the only one who keeps me comepany." Naomi looked at the new ginger cat.

"I can come here as often if you like." She said, her mouth filled with carbonara.

"Oh, you shouldn't. You have your own life." Claudia said.

"Well, I have nothing else to do too. It's mostly school and hanging out with my friend Robin. I'm actually thinking on entering our school's cheerleading club." She said.

"That's lovely. If you want, you should do it." Claudia encouraged her. She sat in front of the girl and watched her eat.

Suddenly, Steve entered the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water before drinking it. Naomi watched him with her mouth full of coleslaw, thinking why was he acting like he lives here.

"Mrs. Henderson." He said, nodding at her.

"Steve!" The woman stood up and hugged the man. It was obvious that Claudia looves children.

While hugging Claudia, Steve saw Naomi sitting on one of the stools with her mouth full of lasagna this time.

"Naomi..." he greeted, breathless. Shocked and unsure. How can she look beautiful just by stuffing her face with food?

"Steve..." she copied after swallowing her food.

"Mom! Stop hogging them. I need my hair fixed." Dustin complained before dragging Steve towards his room.

Naomi watched the two of them in amusement. She saw Steve looking back at her direction and smiled before they disappeared.

"Dusty..." Claudia sighed in his son's behaviour.

"He's just growing up. Teenagers." She comforted her. Claudia nodded in understanding.

"Is Steve here often? He struts like he is." She asked, curious.

"Oh those two, they're inseparable."

With that, the two continued their conversation.

-*-

"Bye, Mrs. Henderson. I love the food. I'll visit often." Naomi shouted her goodbye as Dustin dragged her outside.

"Please do!" Claudia shouted back.

"Bye, Mrs. Henderson."

"Bye, Steve!"

Dustin pushed her at the back of Steve's car. She didn't complain, she didn't really drove her car to get to the Henderson household. A free ride sounds nice.

"Just there." She said, pointing in her house. The car eventually stopped and parked just outside. She opened the door and got out of the car before knocking at the shotgun seat's window.

Dustin rolled it down and smiled at Naomi.

"You'll do well kid. Have a nice night." She said before stepping back and waved goodbye. She waited for a while before entering her home after seeing them off.

For now, she has some business to attend to.

-*-

Red leaves, red trees, red roots. She was back to her dimension.

She couldn't stop herself. She was curious and the gnawing feeling of that creature on the school haunted her. She couldn't have that.

She needed to know what it was.

The red force went out of her palm as she maneuvered them with her fingers. Her body floating in the air. Her eyes closed as she guide her red force to search for that... thing.

She can see the world move in a very fast pace as she searched for that creature around Hawkins. She guided her powers in every turns and alleys that can be found in the small town. She was doing this routine continuously but...nothing. There was nothing.

How is it nothing?

That creature is obviously supernatural. But how come it doesn't have any energy?

Naomi knew this was weird. Everyone has energy. Animals, plants, people and other living things has energy. So why?

She grumbled as she let her feet touch the ground. She looked in her foot blankly, thousands of theory running on her mind. But there is only one plausible theory that makes sense, a puzzle piece completing the puzzle.

That creature is indeed supernatural, and a powerful one at that.

That creature has the same psionic powers like her.

-*-
EDITED

Author's Note,

It has been a while. School was so stressful but I am not gonna give up on this story. I forgot about the numerous homeworks, group projects, and performances that came with face to face classes.

I am still unsure about who Naomi should end up with. °^°

Very short update but I promise a longer one next chapter.