Chapter 21

"If you could see that I'm the one who understands you,
Been here all along, so why don't you see?
You belong with me."

- You Belong With Me, Taylor Swift

-*-

ROBIN BUCKLEY grunted as she opened the doors of her locker. She has been avoiding Naomi Scott all day and it has been really annoying. Its just like she knew exactly where to find her. She has never seen someone so determined to talk to her. Make amends. It's weird.

She has been restless, she was just fired in her work in a restaurant as a waitress because apparently, she broke a lot of plates and glasses than all of the workers combined. That's absurd, in her opinion. She just broke, like what? Only 27!
She has spent a lot of time finding a new one. With her brand practice, academics, and finding a new job, she haven't slept well. In a week.

Added with the fact that she has been trying so hard to hide from Naomi Scott, The unannounced Queen of Hawkins High, it has been so tiring, all day.

And it was just her first day back. It's gonna be a year of torture. She can see it.

Gladly, she escaped from her all thanks to the new King of Hawkins High, Billy Hargrove. He has been helping her, unknowingly, this afternoon. If it wasn't for him, Naomi probably caught up with her. And that wasn't going to end well.

Right now, she found herself walking around the town. Finding some establishments that was hoping for workers or rather her hoping that they're finding some workers.

She entered two restaurants, three stores and the arcade, however, they were just not looking for workers at the moment. Also with the fact, that she's still in school and couldn't give her full time at the store like what they wanted.

She was devastated. She only got a week of money left. She's gonna be poor and she couldn't have that.

"Hey." She turned around after hearing the voice behind her. She regretted it.

Robin groaned and started walking away, however, Naomi being her usual determined self, followed her.

"I know that I left without saying goodbye but I have to." She started explaining, "someone I know and care about is in danger and that person needs me."

"I don't care, Scott." Robin said, her hands shooing her away.

"If you don't care, then why were you avoiding me all day?" She asked, Robin stopped walking.

She has a point.

Why was she avoiding Naomi all day if she proclaimed that she doesn't care?

"Because you care." Naomi smiled at the short-haired girl, teasingly.

"Fine! I do care!" Robin bursted out and shouted, "I care that I thought you thought of me as a friend. I care that you didn't say goodbye. I care that you just showed up randomly one day and started waving at me as if you didn't disappear for a whole month. I care that you left me alone. And I don't like it." She admitted. Naomi looked around the street to see if someone is looking at them.

"Naomi, seriously?" Robin said, thinking that Naomi doesn't want to be seen with her anywhere and got offended with the thought of it.

"I love that you care, but we have to go somewhere. What I'm going to say to you is top secret. Are you in? Or not?" Naomi said seriously, looking directly at Robin's eyes and saw the fear that flashed after the change of the topic.

"What?" Her voice cracked as she looked everywhere anxiously. Scared about the sudden change of aura around them. She feels like she was hiding something she wasn't supposed to know.

"I'll take that as a yes." Naomi said and dragged her towards her car.

-*-

After shutting down every curtains, windows and door, she sat in front of Robin, who was sitting in the sofa.

"Are you ready?" She asked the short-haired girl, who looked as if she doesn't want to be here. Which is true. Robin has been anxious all the way to her house and has been talking non-stop about laws and such. Naomi didn't listen.

"No." Robin croaked.

"I have a brother ----"

"Wait, you have a brother?" Robin asked, brows furrowed.

"I didn't told you that?" Naomi questioned back, confused.

"I don't know. I've decided to erase everything that involves you in my memory." Robin shrugged.

"And you did?"

"Yeah." She said, unflinching.

"Is this just you telling me that you forgot everything I told you all about me?" Naomi asked, brows arched. She knew that she told Robin too much information regarding her life. Unless, it's that information.

"Yeah, I wanna be mean." Robin answered, grinning. Naomi rolled her eyes but somehow  couldn't erase the small smile planted in her face.
"Back to the topic, I have a brother and he's in danger, was. He was in danger." She immediately corrected herself.

"Oh no. I'm sorry, I didn't know." Robin said.

"Of course you don't, I didn't told anyone." Naomi said, "but he was in danger not because he's dead." She raised her index finger after seeing Robin opening her mouth.

"There are someone that wants to kill my brother, for the greater good. I somehow managed to save him just in time and now he's currently residing in Chicago." She finished.

"The place that you said you have an emergency in." Robin said, her mouth agape in realization.

"Yeah." Naomi said, nodding at her. She then looked at her eye deeply, slightly scaring the girl across from her, and turned serious.

"Now, what I told you is top secret. No one should know and will know. What I told you in this room, will stay in this room. Promise me that, Robin Buckley." She demanded.

"I- I promise." She stuttered, "I don't really wanna know this information." She whispered, unknowingly.

"Well, I want you to know this information." Naomi said, smiling at her genuinely before her expression morphed into worry.

"Are you still mad at me?" She asked.

"Honestly?" Robin asked then sighed, "I was never mad at you." Her lips pursed after seeing the confused expression plastered in Naomi's face.

"What? T- Then why?" She stuttered.

"Upset? Maybe. Mad? No. I don't even know why am I upset." Robin answered honestly.

"You have every right to be upset." Naomi started, "You're my friend, Robin. At least, I hoped we'll still be friends. After I didn't say goodbye? I mean..." Naomi snorted at the thought bitterly.

"You are my friend, Naomi." Robin answered sincerely.

Naomi smiled at the short haired girl sitting across from her.

It was the time Naomi felt something in her chest. She was happy.

She realized that she wasn't lifeless, lonely, sad, depressed, or heartbroken. She was happy.

She was happy because of the friends that she gained. The experiences that she failed to experience. The feeling of love that she felt for the people that love her. She was happy.

And being happy changes everything.

She felt alive.

And honestly, being alive felt good.

-*-
EDITED