Chapter 4: Payback

Jason and I spent a lot of time being angry after our attack. We had our stitches removed within the week, and the knife wound took about a month to completely heal over. Thankfully there was no long-term internal damage, but it did scar, and it was an ugly one. The hunting blade, which I was able to retrieve from the doctor without her seeing, was serrated on one side, so the cut wasn't a clean line, especially after I had rolled on it after being kicked. Now I'll have a jagged, four-inch long scar on my back, likely for life. Jason's cut is much smaller, and it will probably fade soon since it's healing better than we thought. It's already well on its way thanks to the ointments he stole.

Once we healed, we began to train. The ambush made us both realize just how physically weak we were. 

We chanced another trip into the sporting goods store a few weeks after our attack. This time our focus was on protein powder, training gloves, heavier arm and leg weights, and for Jason, a baseball bat. Anything to help us get physically stronger.

We started to train ourselves and spar against each other. I taught him some fighting techniques that were useful from my last life that could be used here. Unfortunately, my old Hyuga fighting style relied heavily on chakra, and wasn't very useful without it nor with my small weak body. I still at least knew many ways to get out of holds and to dodge, and other basic useful martial arts. 

Jason was a natural brawler, but also quick and decisive with his movements. He could assess a situation as fast as I could, and he was great at reading people's body movements. He absorbed everything I taught him like a sponge, all of which I lied and said I learned in a book or from TV. He thinks I'm a natural fighter as well because of that, and in many ways I really am. I learn quickly when I'm taught a new fighting style, and excel easily at all forms of fighting.

We were becoming hardier after our defeat. The added protein powder helped since we never got enough in our meals. We looked slightly less sickly after a month of drinking it. Jason started practicing with his bat, making sure he was proficient enough to use it well. I changed out my daggers, no longer carrying the larger serrated hunting blades but instead using throwing knives. They weren't quite kunai, but they were similar enough that I was comfortable with them. I practiced daily on our little target at home, we had taped a picture of Zach and Ricky to the center of the target. 

I never missed when aiming at them.

We wanted to get payback, but we didn't want to kill the bastards. We didn't want to risk being caught for that extreme of a crime. Instead, we devised a plan. It would take time, and needed the opportune moment in order to act. But we were patient, we could take all the time we needed to get revenge. 

Thankfully, a gala was happening soon after we were prepared, not too far away from where we had been stabbed in the back. It seemed like a perfect setting, 'divine punishment' of sorts. Once we stole the event planner's guest list, we knew it would work perfectly upon seeing a certain name on the list. A little research at the library, and we were ready.

"Ricky, Zach, wait up." I call out innocently to the bastards as they're walking down the streets the evening of the gala.

"Oh, back for another round?" Zach sneers and laughs at me.

"Where's your brother?" Ricky asks skeptically, looking around for Jason.

"He's watching a score for me. I came to find you guys..." I say softly, doing an excellent job of acting meek and fearful. "You guys were right... we didn't know this area was yours, we were just new and no one had taught us the way yet." I say apologetically to them and they both puff up with arrogance. "So, we wanted to apologize to you guys, and we thought a gift would be the best way to do it. There's a gala, and we found a way into the garage that only we know of. A whole bunch of Gotham's richest are going, so that means a bunch of expensive cars to steal from." I inform them enticingly, egging them on to the idea. "What do ya say, you come with for old times' sake and take the full cut from the job? We won't boost on your territory again while you guys are in charge. We learned our lesson, and want to make amends." I finish with a sad but hopefully tone in my voice.