Chapter 5: Destined Meeting

It was about nine months after meeting Robin in that alleyway that the news reported his death. I was shocked, but tried to remember if that happened in the comics or if it was just a cover story. Jason was heartbroken and sad for him, Robin was his favorite hero after all. It wasn't until a couple of months later that I read about a new hero called Nightwing in the next town over, Blüdhaven, that I breathed a sigh of relief. It was just a cover, and Dick Grayson was fine. This made me excited and anxious, because soon Jason should be running into Batman.

Shortly after the appearance of Nightwing, I finally saw it. Our ticket out of this life, and onto Jason's destiny. 

We were walking around one late, April night, looking for a car to boost, and I spotted a dark car parked in an alleyway. I grinned when I recognized the Batmobile, and nudged Jason to get his attention. He grinned at me in response, and we silently took our positions.

I perched on top of the fire escape, hidden almost entirely in the darkness of night, making no noise and moving very little to keep my presence hidden as well

I perched on top of the fire escape, hidden almost entirely in the darkness of night, making no noise and moving very little to keep my presence hidden as well. I watched as Jason got the first two tires off the car, then was halfway through the third when I spotted the Batman. Normally, I would have alerted Jason to get away now to avoid getting caught, but I had no intention of getting away now. I let Batman get closer and bust Jason instead.

"You've got some stones on you to steal my tires, kid. Now, you're going to put them back on, immediately." Batman growls out at Jason, but I can hear a hint of humor in his gravelly voice.

As the hulking towering figure was walked over to my brother, I decided to test the Bat myself and see if his reflexes were really as good as they say

Over the years of being a street rat, Jason and I collected many things from left over crime scenes or gang fights. My favorite finds are when we could pick up a Batarang or left over grappling stuff. So now, seeing Batman in all his Dark Knight glory in front of me, I took out one his pilfered Batarangs silently, and aimed straight for his face. 

He would either catch it, dodge it, or this would be a very bad first meeting if I hit my target. I took the gamble, not caring for the third option's consequences, and threw the Batarang at him with all my strength as Jason took his tire iron and went to attack the Batman. He and I were on the same wavelength, like usual.