Chapter 30: Moving Out

"Well, here it is." Bruce says simply as he takes me to an apartment building in downtown Gotham towards the end of my summer break. He said he had something to give me, so he took me out into town today to show me it, but never said what it was.

"Yes, that is an apartment building." I respond back with utter sincerity. I enjoy pissing him off a little too much.

"Just get in." He says tiredly, and walks away from me into the building. 

Bruce calls the elevator and we get in, then he hits the top floor button, swiping a card over the scanner as he does. We ride in silence all the way up, not feeling the need to fill the silence with chatter. It's so rarely just the two of us that these moments of peace without Dick or Tim around are pleasant, so long as I'm not ruining it with my sarcasm or we're not fighting and mad at each other.

"Wow, Bruce this a nice place you got. Another safe house?" I ask when the doors open and we walk into a huge loft apartment. It's furnished in sleek black and green colors, has huge floor to ceiling windows, and a spiral staircase that leads to an upper floor. The kitchen is an open plan with an island that looks out into the living room. Overall, it's not too large, but is a rather simplistically stunning place with a killer view.

"Somewhat." Bruce says smugly as he leads me around. "There's three bedrooms and a roof access as well. The elevator and doors have all been updated with my latest security, so you'll be safe here when coming and going. The roof line leads out in multiple directions so you make a quick descent when you need to leave as Shadow. The windows are dual sided, so you can see out but others can't see in, and they're all bullet proof." He says to me, and I look at him curiously. "And it's only a 10 minute walk to your campus." He finishes, handing me the keys and the security card.

"Bruce... this is for me?" I ask quietly, looking around. "You bought me a whole apartment?"

"No." He answers shortly, turning to leave. "I bought the building." His back is turned to me, but I can hear the smirk.

I catch him before he can make his usual grand escape from a room. "Thank you, Bruce." I say genuinely to him as I wrap my arms around him tightly. "It really means a lot to me."

"It's nothing." He shrugs dismissively, and calls the elevator up. "Oh, I should warn you. Your brothers each have a key to get in too."

"Ah, there's the catch." I say jokingly to him as he smirks, stepping into the elevator and leaving. 

I turn to walk around my new apartment, taking in all the exits and potential entrances, pacing out the floor and learning the distances. My phone gets a text, and I go to check it, seeing it's from Bruce. 

'When you're done casing the place, check behind the bookshelf in the smallest bedroom. -B'

I chuckle, Bruce knows me surprisingly well, he knew I would case the place right away. I go into the smallest room and find the book that looks like it doesn't belong on the aforementioned bookshelf, and pull down on it. The shelf moves away at the action, and I squeal happily at realizing I now have a home with its own secret door. The bookshelf opens and reveals one of my Shadow uniforms in it, as well as a spare set of all my gear. 

I pull open all the compartments and find a pop-out computer, and check it and see it's linked to the Bat computer. First thing I did on it was find the security cameras he had on my new place, which was only in the elevator, the roof, and the main entrance. I logged those codes and put them in my phone, and set up a quick way to hack them and put them on a loop if I needed to be Nightingale at all here, because priorities.