Chapter 35: Hush, Part 1

I'm slowly giving up hope that Jason's going to come back, and I'm becoming more closed off again. I'm starting to really think I may have accidentally changed his second chance fate by being here in this world, but I still keep clinging to the small sliver of hope that maybe I just remembered the years wrong, that maybe it was four or five years that he's gone instead of three.

One day early in my summer break from school, I was milling about the manor, letting my feet guide me around after I spent a couple of hours reading to Jason's headstone. I wandered down to the cave, assuming I would find someone there to be around.

"What's going on?" I ask casually, seeing Bruce and Tim at the computer, hoping they had something for me to do.

"Not a lot tonight." Tim answers me in a bored tone. He's been doing better since his dad passed and Bruce took him in officially several months ago. "You?" 

"Nothing as usual." I respond back blandly in my automatic response. I don't miss the concerned look that flashes over Tim's face, nor the elbow nudge that Alfred gives Bruce. "What?" I ask the butler skeptically.

"There's a party tonight. Honoring Gotham's doctors. I have to go, I'm on the Board at the hospital. Will you come with me?" Bruce asks gruffly, obviously distracted because he barely glanced up from the screen to look at me.

"Do I have to?" I ask, rolling my eyes. I've been so closed off lately, I've even grown bored of entertaining the handsome Gotham elite men.

"Yes." Alfred butts in, answering before Bruce can. "I have laid out a dress for you in your room." I give him a look, raising my brows judgingly at him. "It is up to your codes, I promise." He drawls out to me, staring me down. "You leave in one hour, go get ready." He ushers me out of the room.

"You sure know how to make a girl regret going to the cave." I sarcastically answer back, allowing him to shove me out. 

I get showered and changed into the dress, it is a beautiful one this time. It's a dark grey, almost black sheath style dress with a Grecian drape over the front and a slit almost all the way up one thigh. The halter top was tasteful, not too plunging on the cleavage. I put mousse in my short hair and combed it in a sleek style off to the side. I get into the car with Bruce, who is dressed in a nice suit but distracted.

 I get into the car with Bruce, who is dressed in a nice suit but distracted