Chapter 34: Depressed Tim

We spent the next night after the breakout rounding up more criminals, but several went into hiding, not being caught by us. I know that will be a problem later, but for now, things could calm down for a bit. 

Or at least, it should have. 

Bruce surmised that if Bane knew of his identity, he could have told someone, and that would leave Dick, Tim and I in danger.  Since Dick and I didn't have any relatives left, we weren't as in danger, but Tim was. Bruce's first stop the second day after the breakout was to check on Jack Drake, Tim's dad. 

Unfortunately, in the chaos that ensued from the Arkham breakout, Jack had been killed by Captain Boomerang.

"Tim?" I ask softly, knocking on his door and cracking it open. "It's time to go." I tell him, moving into the dark room he hasn't left in days. 

It is time for his father's funeral, and Tim's been a recluse in his old room at the manor. I understand, entirely, how he's feeling, so I've just been joining him to sit and be with him during his darkest hours. 

I walk over to him now, seeing he was already dressed to go, but he wasn't making a move to join me. I gently take his hand and guide him from the room, leading him to the funeral of his last remaining relative. There are no words of condolences that will make him feel any better, so I remain silent, allowing him to be in his thoughts, but squeezing his hand occasionally to let him know I'm here for him.

The service was a sad affair. Jack, when he was poisoned years ago, had become paralyzed when he woke up from his coma. He had only recently begun to regain the use of his legs, and to also begin to repair his relationship with Tim. There had been a lot of distrust and anger over Tim being Robin, but they had been working on it, together. And now Tim's an orphan, just like me, Jason, Dick and Bruce. It seems like a sad requirement to be in the Bat Family. 

At least Jack had managed to kill Boomerang at the same time that he was killed.

"It's not fair, Ana." Tim's quiet voice breaks through the silence at the end of the service, finally speaking for the first time in days. "I was out saving everyone else, and I couldn't save my own father. How could I let this happen?" He asks with quiet bitterness while it was just me and him sitting on a bench at the cemetery. It wasn't the same cemetery as Jason was buried in. It was one that Tim's mother was already at, his father now buried beside her. Dick had just left a moment ago, saying he had to get something for us.

"It's never fair, Tim." I reply softly. "And I can't preach about moving on, either. All you can do is try, Timmy. Each day, just try. It will get easier, sort of, but it never goes away." I pull him into my arms to hold him, and he buries his face in my neck. I can feel the tears falling onto my shoulder, but I don't care about the mess. I rub his back gently as he gets his sadness out of his system, and I can feel the moment that his sorrow turns to rage.

"I wish I could have been the one to kill Boomerang." He breathes out angrily.

"How would you have done it?" I ask plainly. I can recognize darkness in others. I know Tim is mad, wants revenger, but was robbed of that chance. But I also know Tim, he wouldn't have been able to follow through with the evil deed, he's too good. 

If Jack hadn't have shot Boomerang, Nightingale would have hunted the evil man down for just causing Tim this grief. Nightingale would have done it so Tim wouldn't have to.

"I would have done it with my hands." He growls out darkly, standing abruptly and staring at his shaking fists. "I would have punched him until he couldn't breathe anymore."

"And then what?" I ask pointedly, letting him get this out of his system.

"And then he would be dead and gone." He answers, a hint of confusion at my question. "Ana... why are you asking me this?"