Chapter 36: Hush, Part 2

About a week later, Bruce is out on a double date with Selina and his friend Thomas and his date. They're going to the opera together, but I'm out as Nightingale, watching them from afar. I've been following around Thomas when I have the time, so far he seems clean, but I don't trust that.

As I'm watching the opera house from the distance, it gets surrounded suddenly by black and red clown mask wearing goons, and my blood boils in a deep hatred. I already rid this town of clowns, and whoever dares to bring them back just jumped to the top of my shit list. 

I take off into the theatre, getting up to the scaffolding and spotting Harley Freaking Quinn on the stage. She's aiming a gun around and shooting randomly, calling out for Batman to fight her. She looks more coherent than Bruce described her as when he last saw her at Arkham, and that can only spell trouble. 

I whistle out my tune to announce my presence, and watch as her whole demeanor changes and she abandons her task to shoot indiscriminately into the crowd to face me.

"You weren't supposed ta be here, but I'm so glad you are." Harley says darkly to me as I drop down to her level, aiming a gun at her. "You're gonna pay for my Puddin!" She shoots rapidly at me with her gun before it runs out of ammo, and I manage to dodge all of her shots. 

She then takes out her hammer and swings at me, and I fire off several shots at her. Four of my shots hit her, but not anywhere vital due to her rapid movements. She keeps swinging at me though, and I have to dodge her attacks so I put the guns away, taking out my katana to aid me in blocking her mallet.

"Still sour over that? Come on Harley, move on, find yourself a normal circus clown to date, if the green hair and face paint is what does it for you." I taunt her and her eyes bug out in hysterics. "Desperate isn't a good look on you." I add as she swings again and I dodge, her aim getting sloppy the more I taunt her.

I can see Batman in the crowd now, Bruce clearly having had a spare suit nearby as he is beating up the goons in the crowd. I swing in to strike Harley, which she counters and pushes me pack, throwing her mallet away and running at me blindly to fight. It's sad, she really has lost her normal spark, she would have been taunting me more and making lame jokes while she fought me.

"This is just sad now." I point out, putting my sword away, taking pity on her deranged actions. Clearly, whatever plan she had for being here tonight was out the window once she saw me. I throw a steel wire web gadget at her, which wraps tightly around her and immobilizes her. She snarls like a rabid animal in her net, and it's disgusting to see. I debate putting her down right there, putting her out of her misery, but I get interrupted from that.

"Nightingale!" Batman growls out to me, moving in for an attack on me.  He still doesn't like me, apparently. I fight and dodge his swings, managing to drop onto my back and swing myself back up, kicking him hard in the chest and sending him flying a bit and gaining some distance from me. He landed over my Harley and stood defensively in front of her, and I didn't want to kill her so much that I was willing to risk hurting Bruce right now, so I regrettably have to back down from this fight.