Chapter 50: Soul's Lesson

We get back to the manor quickly after the attack. Dick must have called Jason, because he's there waiting for me at the front door. Jason wastes no time and pulls me out of the car and into his arms, squeezing me tightly in a hug. He looks into my eyes, and no words are needed, he just leads me up the stairs to my room, changes me into pajamas, and lays me down into the bed next to him, holding my hands as we mirrored each other.

"Ana, I never blamed you. Not once, not one second I was there." Jason says softly to me as tears brim my eyes. " I'm so sorry you thought that. But please, know that I love you and would never blame you for anything." He says softly, then places a gentle kiss on my forehead.

A knock on the door alerted me of Tim's presence, and he silently also climbed into my bed, already dressed in his pajamas. He came up to my back, throwing an arm over my waist and held me. Not long after, Dick joined as well, going to Jason's other side, his hand reaching over and lightly running his hands soothingly through my hair, letting me know he was there for me. Finally, Damian came in, and he crawled in between me and Jason, curling into me with his face near my heart. I kissed his head softly before falling asleep.

I dreamt that night first of Joker, his usual laugh ringing in my ears, but that laugh changed to my Nightingale tune, and then is changed to new laughs

I dreamt that night first of Joker, his usual laugh ringing in my ears, but that laugh changed to my Nightingale tune, and then is changed to new laughs. The laughs then were of Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian. Quietly joining them with their own chuckles were Bruce and Alfred. None of the laughs were sadistic and evil, they were all light hearted, loving, supportive laughs. My dream stopped being a nightmare and instead was a fun filled evening with all of us together, joking around or fighting side by side.

I woke up from that dream in the middle of the night to the sound of someone walking into the room. I glance to the side, and see Bruce asleep in the chair by the bed, watching over all of us, even when we rested. 

I turn my head to the sound of a click, and see Alfred standing watch over us all, taking a picture of everyone crammed in my bed, everyone holding me or just supporting me in my lowest hour.

"Al?" I whisper out softly to the butler, who is so much more than a butler to us all. "Can you make me a copy of that please?"

"Of course, Mistress. Please, get some more rest." He says softly to me, his tone letting me know that he knows that happened today as well.

I lay there in the bed that night, feeling utterly safe there in my brother's arms while Bruce watched over us. I realized, feeling how whole and complete they made me feel, I finally knew what my purpose was in this world. I finally realized the lesson my soul had to learn here.

My lesson was Family.

I reflected back to my first life, the memories already starting to fade now that I'm on my third life. I thought about what my first family was like. An absentee father who drank. A crazy, erratic mother who only cared for herself. Two half siblings I saw maybe once a year and never had anything in common with nor had anything to talk about. Grandparents who were driven away by my crazy mother, and never tried to get to know me at all.