Chapter 32: Slade

It's been over three years now since Jason died. I'm starting to give up hope that he's going to come back, because in my faded memory of the Red Hood, he was supposed to come back after only three years. 

I'm going to his grave only on the weekends now since I moved, but I stay for the whole day when I go. I bring my homework with me and just sit by his headstone and do it there. Alfred had a canopy installed over it years ago to at least keep me dry while I was there during the rain, he had given up on trying to make me not go in bad weather.

"Jason, if I did this, if I changed your fate to not come back, I am so sorry." I say brokenly to his grave. "I hope you're haunting me now, I would deserve it. But if you're actually still alive like you're supposed to be, please come back. Dick and Tim help, but I need you back. You're my other half, and the band aide approach isn't working anymore." I cry softly to his headstone in the cold February day. 

I've been tuning out more again since college started, and even had a dangerous tune out while on patrol as Shadow after the ice villain bomb threat. Thankfully, I was with Robin at the time and he caught me as I tuned out mid jump from a tall building. Bruce benched me, understandably, and I didn't argue about it. I'm no use to Robin if he's having to save me.

I've been able to focus more as Nightingale though, the trafficking rings help keep me focused. I feel like I'm close to finding out the actual main person behind the scenes, the one who connects all the smaller rings I've busted up, and I've taken down so many of the factors that it's almost resolved. I'm not as smart as Bruce or Tim, but I have my ways of 'negotiating' information out of my prey.

As I wrapped up my whistling taunt and take down of yet another crime spot one blistering February night, I finally had tortured a promising lead to finding the leader of the trafficking uprising. There was going to be a fresh shipment of victims coming in the next day, and the boss was rumored to be with them to oversee. I went to the docks that night and set up several small traps all over to have ready for the next day. Always think several steps ahead, but don't be predictable. My best friend Shikamaru's words to live by from my last life.

I spent the day at Jason's grave again the day of the shipment, mentally preparing myself for the upcoming battle. I seem to focus better after I've been here, it's likely subconsciously that I feel closer to him when I visit. Whatever it is, I know I'll need the peace the grace gives me for tonight. Hopefully, this will end this not-so-little human trafficking crime wave and I can take a break for a bit after this. But I've started this mission, and I'm going to be the one to finish it.

I got to the docks the night of the shipment and set up my rifle in a nice dark corner that had a good vantage point to see everything around. I watched closely to each ship that came in, using a thermal scan to account for the bodies inside the ships. I locked onto one after about two hours of scouting, seeing a cluster of people all huddled together below deck and not moving. I watch as the captain of the ship signs over the contents form to the dock master, as well as a small extra envelope. With that, the dock master goes and walks away, turning a blind eye to what's about to happen.

I see the dock master is alone in his office, counting his dirty money that was in the extra envelope while the captain and the crew men are unloading the women who are tied up, but I still don't see the boss at all. I look around and wait a moment, seeing all the women are also being held huddled together in the cold and waiting, until I finally see a limo pull up to the scene.

"Son of a bitch." I whisper out to myself, seeing Slade Wilson in his full Deathstroke uniform get out of the limo along with a sleazy looking socialite. 

I get closer with my rifle and listen in on their conversation, starting to plan my attack while the sleazy guy looks at each of the women he is being presented. I start to recognize the boss, he has been a recurring face in my list of suspects, he used to work for Falcone before striking out and starting his own business. I haven't quite been able to narrow it down for sure that it was him, that's the only reason I haven't taken him out yet. He's likely that main boss, but Slade is far from a lackey or hired gun in a situation like this.